Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2004 F150 code came up with P0506 idle control system rpm low.

9/30/2010
Chuck
Chuck, ASE Certified Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Chuck :

Usually this is caused by a sludged throttle body.Ford has a technical service bulletin out for this that requires reprograming the PCM. However sometimes cleaning the throttle body can correct it.

Chuck :

Here is a copy of the TSB

Chuck :

TSB
08-18-2

• MIL ON - P0506 AND/OR P0505 - HESITATION/LOSS OF RPM/DIFFICULTY STARTING/LOW IDLE RPM

Publication Date: August 21, 2008

FORD:

2005-2007 Crown Victoria
2006 Mustang, Mustang
2004-2006 F-150, F-150
2005-2006 E-350, E-450, F-Super Duty
2006 F-53 Motorhome Chassis
2006-2007 Explorer Sport Trac, Explorer

LINCOLN:

2005-2007 Town Car
2006 Mark LT

MERCURY:

2005-2007 Grand Marquis
2006-2007 Mountaineer, Mountaineer

This article supersedes TSB(s) 08-5-13, 07-23-12 and 06-25-8 to update the Service Procedure.

ISSUE:

Some 2004-2006 4.6L and 5.4L F-150 (excluding F-150 Heritage), 2006 5.4L Mark LT, 2005-2006 6.8L E-350 / E-450, 2005-2006 6.8L F-Super Duty (F-250 to F-550), 2006 6.8L F-53 Motorhome Chassis, 2006-2007 4.0L Explorer 4 dr, 2007 4.0L Explorer Sport Trac, 2006-2007 4.0L Mountaineer, 2006 4.0L Mustang, 2006 - 2007 4.6L 3V Explorer / Explorer Sport Trac / Mountaineer, 2006 4.6L 3V Mustang, and 2005-2007 Crown Vic / Grand Marquis / Towncar vehicles may exhibit one or more of the following symptoms: drive-away hesitation, loss of RPM on deceleration, difficulty starting, and/or idle RPM less than desired. Malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) may be illuminated with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0506 and/or P0505. These conditions may appear after battery disconnect, dead battery condition, or keep alive memory (KAM) reset. The symptoms may be due to engine deposits in the throttle leading to airflow less than desired.

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 53.9 and higher or 54.1 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2008.1 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com. The calibration contains a sludge compensation strategy for the throttle body.

2. Turn the key off to re-initialize the PCM. This will allow the sludge compensation strategy to learn.

3. With the vehicle in park or neutral and A/C off, start vehicle and allow engine to reach normal operating temperature(greater than 170 °F (77 °C) coolant temperature). Run an additional 5 minutes to allow sufficient learning time.

4. While the engine is running, using IDS datalogger or equivalent, check the PID value of ETC_TRIM.

1. If ETC_TRIM value is 3.5 degrees, and/or DTC P115E is present, then replace the electronic throttle body (ETB), following Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-04B.

2. If ETC_TRIM value is less than 3.5 degrees and DTC P115E is not present, but driveability concerns persist, the ETB is not the likely cause of the concern and replacement is not necessary. Continue with normal PC/ED diagnostics.

NOTE:VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A PCM AND TCM REQUIRE COORDINATED REPROGRAMMING. THIS COORDINATED REPROGRAMMING PROCEDURE MUST BE FOLLOWED EXACTLY AS OUTLINED BY THE IDS. FAILURE TO FOLLOW THE KEY CYCLE PROCEDURE WITHOUT WAITING FOR THE IDS PROMPTS, WILL CAUSE THE COORDINATED REPROGRAMMING TO FAIL. THE PCM WILL BE UPDATED BUT THE TCM WILL NOT BE UPDATED AND NEW FILES WILL NOT BE INSTALLED. IT IS CRITICAL TO FOLLOW THE IDS PROMPTS. SOME VEHICLES MAY REQUIRE SEVERAL DAYS OF DRIVING FOR THE TRANSMISSION TO FULLY ADAPT. REPROGRAMMING CONCERNS/ERRORS MAY BE CAUSED BY THE DATA LINK CONNECTOR (DLC) OR VEHICLE COMMUNICATION MODULE (VCM) BECOMING DISCONNECTED, LOW BATTERIES ON THE INTEGRATED DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM (IDS) OR THE IDS GOING INTO ANY TYPE OF SLEEP MODE, OR LOW VEHICLE BATTERY VOLTAGE. IF THERE WAS AN INTERRUPTION DURING REPROGRAMMING, MAKE SURE THE ORIGINAL IDS SESSION THAT WAS CREATED FOR THE VEHICLE IS NOT DELETED. IF THE ORIGINAL VEHICLE SESSION IS NOT USED OR DELETED BEFORE THE MODULES ARE COMPLETELY REPROGRAMMED, FURTHER REPROGRAMMING ERRORS CAN OCCUR. THE MODULE RECOVERY PROCEDURE IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE AND IT IS CRITICAL THAT MODULE SWAPPING IS NOT PERFORMED FROM VEHICLE TO VEHICLE. TO REGAIN COMMUNICATION WITH A MODULE THAT HAS BEEN ERASED DURING REPROGRAMMING, RESUME THE ORIGINAL SESSION ONCE THE IDS IS RE-BOOTED.

PART NUMBERPART NAME
9W7Z-9E926-BThrottle Body - 4.0L, 4.6L 2V,
8L3Z-9E926-BThrottle Body - 5.4L
9R3Z-9E926-BThrottle Body - 4.6L 3V Mustang Built After 12/7/2005
6L2Z-9E926-CThrottle Body - 4.6 3V Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer
9C3Z-9E926-BThrottle Body - 6.8L
Customer:

Ok so that makes sense, we just changed the battery last wednesday. It sounds complicated not something we would be able to do ourselves right?

Chuck
Chuck, ASE Certified Technician

It appears that my answers did not go thru so I switched out of the chat mode.

You can try cleaning your throttle body first.This sometimes corrects it. If you had a scan tool that could look at data you would know for sure if the ETC_trim was above or below 3.5 degrees.

9:38 PM

To reprogram the PCM though you would have to have that done at your dealer

9:40 PM

You can look at the plates in the throttle body good and see if there is alot of build up that keeps the throttle plate from closing and take s tooth brush and cleaner and scrub it out good

9:41 PM

the build up will usually be around the outside of the plate in the throttle body opening

9:43 PM

Oh and it is easier to do if you remove the throttle body

9:46 PM

Full Size Image

9:46 PM

Remove the parts in the order indicated in the following illustration and table

9:47 PM

ItemPart NumberDescription
114A464Electronic throttle control electrical connector
214A464Throttle position (TP) sensor electrical connector
3N705438Throttle body bolts (4 req'd)
Installation Note
49F991Throttle body
59E936Throttle body O-ring

Chuck
Chuck, ASE Certified Technician
Chuck
Chuck
Chuck, ASE Certified Technician