Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2007 f150: timing marks..the camshaft sprockets..L..drivers side

I have a 2007 f150...
I have a 2007 f150 5.4 haveing problems timing it .NO timing marks on the camshaft sprockets .But both have R and L sould i line up the left side (drivers side with the L) and the right side (passinger side with the R )
9/18/2010
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech
hi, here is a picture on the cam shaft aliment.i will send you the rest after , PLEAS COPY OR PRINT THIS PAGE RIGHT AWAY IF YOU ARE GOING TO USE THEM THEY WILL DELETE IN 5 MINUTES.

Installation

1. CAUTION: Damage to the camshaft phaser and sprocket assembly will occur if mishandled or used as a lifting or leveraging device.

If installing a new camshaft phaser and sprocket, transfer the original scribe mark to the new camshaft phaser and sprocket.

1. CAUTION: The timing chain must be installed in its original position onto the camshaft phaser and sprocket using the scribed marks, or damage to valves and pistons will result.

CAUTION: Damage to the camshaft phaser and sprocket assembly will occur if mishandled or used as a lifting or leveraging device.

Align the scribe marks and position the camshaft phaser and sprocket into the timing chain.

1. If servicing the RH camshaft phaser and sprocket, install the RH camshaft. See: Camshaft\Service and Repair
  2. If servicing the LH camshaft phaser and sprocket, install the LH camshaft. See: Camshaft\Service and Repair

There are no marks just R and L on both sprockets -there an arrow on top of each letter
THERE MUST BE A MARK ON THE CHAIN AND THE CAM/ SPROKET LOOK GOOD.
OK, LET ME SEND YOU THE ENTIRE PROCEDURE ON DOING THE TIMING FROM SCRACH THERE ARE SOME TOOLS THAT MAY BE NECESARY TO PERFORM THE TIMING. MAKE SURE YOU PRINT OR COPY THIS PAGES AS SOON AS POSIBLE TO PREVENT LOOSING THE EMAGIES ARE YOU READY?
There is a mark on the chain .but no marks on the cam sprocket.In my chilton manuel it says to line up the L on the left sprocket with the two colored links on the chain .and to line up the i on the right .only problem theres no i just a big L and an R stright across from each other. On top of each letter theres an arrow pointing to a sprocket tooth
here is the procedure this will help the cam gears need to be alignewith the leters up on the centerline of the head and individualy with every 180 rebolutions of the engine see instructions.
  1. As a post-check, verify correct alignment of all timing marks.

1. Install the crankshaft sensor ring on the crankshaft.

1. NOTE: The camshaft phaser and sprocket will be stamped with one of the illustrated timing marks for the RH camshaft.

NOTE: The lower half of the timing chain must be positioned above the tensioner arm dowel.

Position the RH timing chain on the camshaft sprocket. Make sure the camshaft sprocket timing mark is positioned between the 2 copper (marked) chain links.

1. Position the lower end of the RH (outer) timing chain on the crankshaft sprocket, aligning the timing mark on the sprocket with the single copper (marked) chain link.

Ok i have the R from second image . That takes care of the right but what about the left side should i line it up with the L
yes.
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech
did you copy the pages because the window is about to close. will you need any more help?
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech