J EARL
J EARL, Ford Technician
Experience:  17 YEARS OF FORD DEALERSHIP SERVICE FORD SENIOR MASTER ASE L1 DRIVABILTY TECH
45160428

how do you replace the rear wheel studs on a 1998 ford exp

Customer Question

how do you replace the rear wheel studs on a 1998 ford expedition
Category: Ford
Expert:  J EARL replied 7 years ago.
Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX ill try to help you want to remove the pads and rotors from the affected wheel and hit the stud out with a hammer like you driving a nail make sure you match up the new stud with the old stud and insert the new stud in the hole and after install a large nut that dose not contact any of the threads and use this as a spacer. install now the lug nut and tighten until collar on the rear of the stud makes contact to the rear of the wheel hub hope this helps Jeff
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

i have removed the disc off the rear hub. the existing studs snapped, i have been hitting them pretty good but seem to be getting nowhere. Now do i have to have a press put the new studs in?

Do i need to remove anything else other than the rotor and brake?

Expert:  J EARL replied 7 years ago.
no you dont have to remove anything else keep hitting them there pressed in and splined there stubborn be sure to use a large nut that dose not touch the threads to install it
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What do you mean by a large nut that doesnt touch the threads?
Expert:  J EARL replied 7 years ago.
if your studs measures at 9mm across you would want to use a nut say 11mm so the threads of the nut do not touch the treads of the stud
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

its only jacked up on one side how do I spin the hub to put the bolts in, what do I do with the large nut after its on?

Expert:  J EARL replied 7 years ago.
even though one wheel is on the ground you can still turn the hub thats in the air using a log bar a wedging it between the remaining wheel studs a turn it. after you install the large nut to act as a spacer install your regular lug nut and tighten until shoulder of the stud touches the back of the hub this will be very tight
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
is there enough room to put the new studs in? there are no pieces of the studs left to turn off of. anything else that can move it?
Expert:  J EARL replied 7 years ago.
yes there is enough room it will only go in one way. if you take a large pair of pliers you can grab the hub and turn
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
im trying to put the stud in but it seems to big to go straight in, there isnt enough clearance behind the hub, what do i do
Expert:  J EARL replied 7 years ago.
it will be a tight fit if it will help you can grind some material off the tip the the will no go straight in you will have to insert it more at an angle i will continue to see if their any other info on this
Expert:  J EARL replied 7 years ago.
i cant find any other information or rear expedition wheel studs to send you
Expert:  J EARL replied 7 years ago.
any luck
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no, just grinded them down and still no luck. do i need to also take of the emergency brake?
Expert:  J EARL replied 7 years ago.
you may have to move the parking brake shoes out of your way in order to have more room
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i will being going at it again tom. thanks for your help though.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have removed the parking brake but there still is not clearance. do i have to take off the gaurd as well? it seems to do that i have to take out the hub
Expert:  J EARL replied 7 years ago.
you shouldnt have to take the backing plate or the hub out the stud will fit in the hole you just have to keep turning the hub until the one the spot when the stud goes through I talked to many techs today at work and they all agree on this it will take some time to find that one spot but it will go in