Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

1996 ford f150: 4th..1500 rpm..throttle body..throttle position sensor

Customer Question
i have a 1996 ford...
i have a 1996 ford f150 with a 302 and when you stop at a red light it will idel all the way up to 4 rpm and while you driving you go to down shift say from 4th at 1500 rpm to 3rd and it goes up to around 4 rpm. ive already put a used throttle body. a new throttle position sensor and a new idel motor. and still not fixed
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/6/2010
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Ron :

Hello and Welcome to Justanswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question.

Customer:

thanks

Customer:

im steven

Customer:

do you have any idea what may be wrong

Customer:

hello

Ron :

With all that you have replaced and the idle is still flaring, I would suspect you PCM (computer) has lost its ability to control Idle speed thru the IAC. Try unplugging the IAC and then drive it, it should idle a little slow , if so suspect the PCM is bad.

Customer:

unplug the idle motor

Ron :

Yes that would be the IAC (idle air control) valve on the throttle body.

Customer:

what is the pcm (computer) and were is it located

Customer:

?

Ron :

The PCM is the engine control modual and on your 1996 its located in the drivers side firewall in between the brake booster and the inner fender.

Customer:

how expensive is that?

Ron :

You can usually buy a reman for about $200.00

Customer:

is it possibe to be the evr valve or the Coolant Temperature Sensor? thats what a frinend suggest but im not sure

Ron :

It not very likely .

Customer:

ok well im gonna go unplug the idel motor and run down the road a min. and i wll be back and let you no more. thanks alot

Ron :

ok, let me know

Customer:

ok it idele parked at about 800rpm and changing gears a 300rpm it would drop down to around a 1000rpm so i think that is it can yyou give me more info on the pcm location and what it looks like. thanks agaim

Ron :

Here is the diagram for loaction.

DOWNLOAD HERE

Ron :

Here is removal INSTRUCTION

Customer:

will it hurt to drive it wit the iac unplugged

Ron :

No it sure will not but it may stall on you from time to time.

Customer:

im still cant place the pcm in the diagram is it like a fuse box with a lot of wires going in the firewall

Ron :

Look at the second picture, all you are going to see under the hood is the connector and the cover. It right next to the brake booster.

Ron :

Let me send you a better file.

Customer:

the second picture is blank

Customer:

ok

Ron :

Give me just a sec.

Customer:

ok

Ron :

DOWNLOAD HERE

Customer:

hey

Customer:

i found it

Customer:

1 more question

Ron :

sure

Ron :

what is the question?

Customer:

do you no what years f150 will interchange say i get one from the junkyard

Ron :

You will need to stick with the same year , make and model as well as the same engine and transmission.

Customer:

so if i found a 1993 with the 302 it wouldnt work

Ron :

No, not likely you need the same year as your 1996

Customer:

do you think it could be anything else'

Ron :

The Wrecking yard may be able to cross it over with there interchang manual but I dont think you can go back that far.

The PCM controls the IAC . The TP sensor can cause this but if the new one is working correctely then no not likely.

Customer:

ok

Ron :

let me know how it goes.

Customer:

ok thanks

Ron :

If you have found my answers helpful, please be sure to hit the accept button so I can get credit for my work.

Customer:

ok thanks sure will and ill let you no how it goes with the computer

Customer:

thanks again

Ron :

Your very welcome. Thank you as well.

Customer:

im looking at computers what the diffrence between pcm and ecm

Ron :

There is no difference, the PCM is a an ECM. Ford calls them PCM and aftermarket calls them ECM. Same thing.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician

are they any way of checking the pcm computer. i find one at the junkyard and want to make sure it is good

There realyy is no test other than installing it and seeing how it works.
ok when the truck is parked in neutral what should the idel speed be in (RPM).

It should be about 750 to 850 .

will it hurt to plug the computer up and try it befor installing it into the firewall housing.

No it will not hurt it.

if u buy a used or new computer will i have to have it programed or anything

No as long as its the correct PCM, it is plug and play.

my computer # XXXXX now will the one i buy have to have this same number.

Yes it need the same part number to be correct.
ok going in the morning to try and find one. hopefully this will fix it and i can leave you alone. thanks
Not a problem, your not bothering me at all. Glad to be of help .
i found a computer in a 1996 f150 just like mine but the engine is 351 and the transmission is automatic but all the numbers match except the last two. I put the computer in my truck it dosent idel high no more seems liket that was the problem i was wondering if the last 2 numbers didnt match up will that cause any problems. thanks
No it should be a good match as long as it is running correctely.

thanks for all your help you nailed the problem on the spot. truck runs fine now. thanks alot

Great JOB!!! Thank you very much as well. Glad to be of some help.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician