Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1996 Ford Escort: timing belt..spark plugs..coil, cam sensor…

I have a 1996 Ford...
I have a 1996 Ford Escort 1.9 after changing the timing belt can not get engine to fire. We have changed the spark plugs, plug wires, coil, cam sensor. We still have no spark.
8/22/2010
Ford Mechanic: connor75, ASE Certified Technician replied 11 years ago
connor75
connor75, ASE Certified Technician
When you crank the car, does the check engine light go out or stay on?
It stays on
Then either the crank sensor is unplugged, or it is bad, or the wiring between it and the computer is broken or damaged, or something is wrong with the crankshaft damper pulley.
I think i told you the i put a cam sensor in but I ment to say I put in a new crank sensor and I know it is plug in
The check engine light staying on, means the computer is not relieving a crank signal. Is the lower crank pulley on ?
yes
Is it wobbling around?
No it's not
Well, there is some reason the computer is not seeing the signal, adjust the gap closer to the pulley.
connor75
connor75, ASE Certified Technician
We took the accy pully off and put it back on tight and we now have spark. thank you.