davehop
davehop, Ford Technician
Experience:  Fully certified in all phases of automotive repair as recognized and certified by Ford Motor Company
14289869

I have a 2002 ford taurus with an ac problem. The actuator

I have a 2002 ford taurus with an ac problem. The actuator for the blend door does not operate. Before I bought an actuator that I did not need I checked for power to the actuator and I do not have any power at any of the five wires that plug into the actuator.I checked all the 5,10,&15 amp fuses in the fuse box. Every thing else on the AC controls seem to work. I removed actuator & was able to adjust blend door easily. Appears to be fine. Can someone tell me what to check next? why don"t I have power to actuator?
Hello and welcome to JA, before we begin can you tell me if you have Electronic Climate Control, or Manual A/C?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Electronic climate control
Power is not supplied directly by a fuse, but rather by the climate control module, you won't have power until you command the actuator to move, and at that point you should have voltage on the Orange or the Dark Blue/Light Green wire.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have no power at either wire, I started car &tested while holding temp change button.

ok lets test the control panel , perform the following....

• To enter the self-test, press the OFF and floor buttons simultaneously and then press the AUTO button within two seconds. The display will show a dashed line in the center of the climate control display window of the integrated control panel (ICP).
  •  

Then a numeric code will appear, what is this number? Make sure everything is plugged in and thagt the key is on, and the engine is running.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
    the numbers are 051 025 053 &195
    You seem to have several problems, there are codes for the solar radiation sensor, code for the blend door actuator, and a code for loss of communication between the Remote climate control module, and the integrated control panel. I would disregard the solar sensor code, for now, and concentrate on the blend door code and the communication code. If you like we can go through the pinpoint test for the module communication. Thats where I would start.
    Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I would appreciate that. tell me where to start. You have been very helpful

Do you have a DVOM?
    Customer: replied 7 years ago.
    thanks for responding again.I'm sorry I have to ask is a DVOM a digatal voltmeter? Idon't have one. I do have a cheap needle type voltmeter
    No we need a DVOM, the analog meter is not accurate enough to check network and communication wiring.
    Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Have I gone as far as I can go? does it seem like it is the climate control module? or do i need to take it to the shop for further diagnostic? your response would be appreciated. thank you.

We need to check the wiring between the modules, but without a DVOM, we really can't, and I'm not gonna tell you to replace a $500 dollar module unless I can prove it is bad, so unless you go out and buy a DVOM, we have gone as far as we can in this.
    Customer: replied 7 years ago.
    Hey Dave I have a digital voltmeter now. I have the radio & electronic climate control out of the dash. What wires or circuits should I check