FordMasterTech
FordMasterTech, Ford Technician
Experience:  Master Certification Ford Motor Company.
8447962

2001 Mercury Cougar: fuel pressure reading..fuel system

What is the fuel pressure reading for a 2001 Mercury Cougar? The fuel system I'm checking
is returnless system.
Chat Conversation Started
FordMasterTech :

im guessing your wanting the fuel pressure specification and not the reading right

FordMasterTech :

spec is 35-65 psi

FordMasterTech :

so you are in spec

FordMasterTech :

is that reading you took while trying to crank the engine?

FordMasterTech :

??\

JACUSTOMER-iin3sao5- :

I don't know what the fuel pressure should be for the cars system. I have put a fuel pressure gauge on it (car not running) an got a reading of 45 PSI. The engine will try to start and if I keep trying it will start then stop after a few seconds.

FordMasterTech :

what is the fuel pressure reading while you are cranking on the engine

JACUSTOMER-iin3sao5- :

It is the same.

FordMasterTech :

ok thats good pressure your problem is not there

FordMasterTech :

you do have spark correct

JACUSTOMER-iin3sao5- :

Yes I do.

FordMasterTech :

ok do you have a voltmeter

JACUSTOMER-iin3sao5- :

Yes

FordMasterTech :

remove the throttle position sensor connector and check between the vref to sig ret wire

FordMasterTech :

top and bottom pins

FordMasterTech :

key on engine off whats your reading

JACUSTOMER-iin3sao5- :

I replaced the sensor about 6 months ago. One thing I didn't say is when the car died after getting it started I checked

JACUSTOMER-iin3sao5- :

the spark plugs and they were dry.

FordMasterTech :

yeah but what is the reading im not checking for something else

FordMasterTech :

im checking for another problem not a problem with the sensor

FordMasterTech :

if you go through this test with me i can guarantee we will find this problem and fix it

FordMasterTech :

if you dont want to i can opt out and you can try your luck with someone who will guess for you

JACUSTOMER-iin3sao5- :

Right now I don't have the car in front of me. But if you can explain what I need to do, or I can contact you when the car is in front of me.

FordMasterTech :

ok i see when can you have the car in front of you?

FordMasterTech :

the

JACUSTOMER-iin3sao5- :

I will be able to check it around 4:00 pm (Pacific Time) or what works for you (some time next week).

FordMasterTech :

the first thing i would do is check those two wires with your voltmeter on dc volts key on engine off if you have between 4-6volts thats good then i would hook up a noid light to the injector and while cranking see what the light does and then if it has coil on plugs which it should i would hook the noid light to a coil plug and see what it does while cranking

Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.