Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2001 ford explorer sport: new fuel pump and battery..starts great

Customer Question
2001 ford explorer sport -...
2001 ford explorer sport - at times will not start - new fuel pump and battery last year - at times starts great - but then other times will not start - have to wait - take the key out completely and try again?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Ford
8/18/2010
Ford Mechanic: AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN replied 7 years ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Hello!

When the engine does not start, does the engine crank over and not start or does it not even crank over at all?

It seems like it won't start for about two or three tries and then as I mentioned if you wait and then take the key out and try again it will start - mechanic cannot find anything wrong - is there a modulator in the starter/ignition (had a similar problem with an 89 Bronco and that was the reason) but mechanic says the 2001 Explorer doesn't have this

I answered this above.....
Do you hear the starter engagde when you are trying to start it?
yes
When it does not start, does the check engine light come on with the key in the on position?

Does it go off while cranking?
I'm not sure - if it does that what does that mean?
You could have a bad cam or crank sensor. TO check them all you have to do is turn the key on and crank. The check engine light should normally come on when the key is turned to the on position, then go off when cranking. The computer turns off the check engine light when it recognizes the crank signal. So if u have a bad crank sensor, the computer will never turn off the check engine light when cranking! If thats the case its time to replace the sensor! Just be sure the wiring is in good shape.

I will have to check that out tomorrow - if that isn't the case then what else could it be?

Then, you could have a fuel delivery problem. I would recommend to start by checking fuel pressure. Fuel injected cars are very fuel pressure sensitive. Fuel pressure is very important and must be within specifications! But if the pressure is low, it does not mean the pump is bad. A plugged fuel filter, a pinched line, and low voltage at the pump can contribute to low fuel pressure. All three must be check before replacing the pump! You can get a fuel pressure gage at a local auto parts store for cheap.

I DO hope you found my Answer to be helpful regarding your vehicles condition. IF SO-please hit **ACCEPT** as you read this Answer, in order that I may receive credit for my time, thanks. BONUSES & Positive Feedback Most appreciated!
Please Note: I receive ZERO Credit until & unless you choose to ACCEPT my well thought-out Answer.

REGARDS

AMEDEE

AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
AMEDEE
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN