Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

On my 2004 F-250 Ford Super Duty with the 6.0 diesel, fuse…

On my 2004 F-250 Ford...
On my 2004 F-250 Ford Super Duty with the 6.0 diesel, fuse F2.45 for ignition switch run/start feed keeps blowing. I have had no luck with drawings or TSBs. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Ross
8/17/2010
Ford Mechanic: lostrider, Ford Technician replied 12 years ago
lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician

Hi this is lostrider, The biggest problem we have with that fuse blowing is due to a short to ground on the steering column, that fuse feeds the O/D button on your shifter and the harness runs through the shifter and routed on top of the steering column, you need to remove the column covers and the black shifter cover can be pulled up to see the wires and inspect the harness from the shifter to find the short, if its located right at the shifter then the shifter will have to be replaced, if you have some room on the wires then you can repair the harness, here is a diagram, hope this helps.

graphic

I apologize for not getting back sooner, but I had to leave with this problem still at hand and deliver my niece to college down in L.A. and get her settled in. With a box of fuses and truck load of her personal belongings I left and have returned. Your answer seems simple enough if I could only get the upper shroud cover off without breaking out my Dremel and cutting enough plastic out of the way to remove the cover over the outer ignition key guide. I have spent a considerable amount of time reviewing all the possible sections of info available in my Alldata online reference with no luck outside of completely removing the intire ignition switch tumbler, of which I am familiar with from my Bronco. I am retired owner operator over the road trucker, and a previous marine engineer having served and worked on vessels from 500 hp to 180,000 hp so I do have alittle wreching time in my book. I love this truck and it is a hard worker up at my ranch, so when it needs fixing I want it done right, which I am sure you appreciate. I thank you ahead for your time.

here is the procedure, hope this helps.

Removal and Installation

1. Remove the ignition switch lock cylinder.
    1. Insert the ignition key into the lock cylinder and turn to the RUN position.
    1. Push the ignition switch lock cylinder release tab with a punch while pulling out the ignition switch lock cylinder.
  1. graphic
  2. Twist the tilt wheel handle and shank and remove.
  1. graphic
  2. Remove the upper and lower steering column shrouds.
  1. Remove the screws.
  1. Remove the upper and lower steering column shrouds.graphic
lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician