Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2008 Ford Escape: wont start..I hear clicking sound..gauge..needle

Customer Question
2008 Ford Escape won't start...
2008 Ford Escape won't start until third try. First try it won't turnover but I hear clicking sound and the speedomoeter and RBM gauge needle bounce up and down slightly. Seond try it almost starts. Usually on the third attempt it starts. Once started, both my and gas gauge coolant needles move slowly. The low gas light comes until the gas gauge goes up to the amont of gas I have. What could cause this?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Ford
7/27/2010
Ford Mechanic: AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN replied 7 years ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Hello!

First thing to do is check the battery. A fully charged battery must have enough cranking capacity to provide the starter motor and ignition system with enough power to start the engine over a broad range of ambient temperatures. Even if its charged, it could still be bad causing a no crank condition! I would rec to get it load tested at a shop or at a battery store. A battery load test will verify the actual cranking capability of the battery. This is the best test. Or you can take a voltmeter and put it on the battery and crank the engine over. (Be sure the battery has a full charge on it.) If the volts drop below 9.6, the battery is bad and needs to be replaced! Just be sure all cable connections are clean and tight. Not only at the battery, but on the starter, engine and frame! Positive side as well as the negative side.

If all checks out, make sure that you have battery voltage on both terminals of the starter when cranking. If full battery voltage (12.6 volts) is present and the starter is not working, then the starter is bad and will need to be replaced! Just be sure all fuses small regular and large size fuses are good under the hood, as well as inside the vehicle
Both my battery and starter are newer parts (within last 3 months) and were tested.
And what about voltage to the starter with the key in the crank position?
The gentlemen that tested my starter and battery did it both without the key in the ignition and when it was turned to where you could see the idiot lights come on..
Ok... so we have not checked battery votlage down to the starter with th eky in the crank position?
Do you mean as I am trying to start the car?
Correct
Yes. Thats what I meant when I said until the idiot ligths came on. The key was turned to where you could see the idiot lights and then started on first try. .
Ok.. but there is no anti theft lights on or flahsing on the dash when this happens?
My Escape does not have any lights for the anti-theft.
What size engine do you have?
V6 I believe.
Well, your vehicle comes with a factory installed secuirty system. Sometimes using another ignition key will fix the problem.
Check fuses 10 and 22 in the smart junction box under the dash.
Turn key to run position, Back probe Brown, 32 pin connector 2280a at the smart junction box under the dash, pin 18, Yellow wire, put a ground to this pin. If engine now starts, check powertrain control module for codes.
If engine still won't turn over, check fuse 22 for power when putting key in the crank position, if there is no power to this fuse when key is in crank position, suspect power loss at or from ignition switch.
If there is power at fuse 22 in crank position, but engine will not crank over with pin 18 grounded, then suspect internal starter relay has failed, smart junction box will have to be replaced and programmed.
Okay - that was all confusing to me. Reply back and I will jusy accept your answer. I will just get it into a shop for them to run a diagnostic on it. Thank you for your time.
Sorry for the delay!

Had to put the little one to bed.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

I DO hope you found my Answer to be helpful regarding your vehicles condition. IF SO-please hit **ACCEPT** as you read this Answer, in order that I may receive credit for my time, thanks. BONUSES & Positive Feedback Most appreciated!
Please Note: I receive ZERO Credit until & unless you choose to ACCEPT my well thought-out Answer.

REGARDS

AMEDEE

AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
AMEDEE
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN