Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2003 Ford Escape: firewall..engine oil..misfire..engine code po316?

What is the cylinder orientation...
What is the cylinder orientation on a 2003 Ford Escape 6 cylinder 3.0 L engine?
How do you remove the spark plugs towards the firewall and what is the cause of engine oil collecting on # XXXXX cylinder spark plug hole causing engine misfire? What is engine code PO316?
7/24/2010
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech
here is the engine orientation on this vehicle , the spark plugs come out trough the wheel wheel, and the oil is due to valve cover seal leaking oil it will collect at the spark plug and cause code po316 as a misfire detected cod
Firing Order

e replacing the seal will solve this problem copy or print right away..
Are you saying that in order to remove the 3 spark plugs towards the firewall i don't have to remove the upper intake manifold? Access is through the wheel well?
Do i need a valve cover gasket set together with the spark plug tube seals in order to stop the oil leak?
sorry i was thinking of a rear wheel drive engine , my mistake the intake on this engine has to come out and the plenum gasket to the intake manifold replace , the valve cover has to be replace with the seals to the spark plugs it comes as a kit
Thanks for your corrected answer. How do i remove the upper intake manifold in order to replace the rear plugs?
ok, can you print or copy this pages right away before is deleted tha

Upper Intake Manifold

Removal

1. Remove the air cleaner outlet tube.
1Remove the crankcase ventilation tube.
2Loosen the clamps.
3Remove the air cleaner outlet tube.

1. Remove the three nuts and the engine appearance cover.

1. Disconnect the cables.
1Disconnect the throttle cable.
2If equipped, disconnect the speed control cable.
3Remove the throttle cable bracket bolts.

1. Disconnect the throttle position (TP) sensor and idle air control (IAC) electrical connectors.

1. Disconnect the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve vacuum hose and EGR tube nut.

1. Disconnect the EGR vacuum regulator solenoid electrical connector and vacuum hose.

1. Disconnect the three vacuum hoses on the back of the intake manifold.
1Disconnect the chassis vacuum hose.
2Disconnect the engine vacuum hose.
3Disconnect the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) hose.

1. Disconnect the vapor management valve (VMV) vacuum hose.

1. Disconnect the two electrical connectors attached to the left side of the upper intake manifold.

1. Disconnect the power steering pressure (PSP) sensor electrical connector.

1. Remove the bolt and position the transmission vent hose and bracket aside.

1. Remove the nut from the wire harness.

1. Remove the eight bolts and the upper intake manifold.
    • Remove and discard the gaskets.
    • Clean all sealing surfaces.

Installation

1. Install new gaskets in the upper intake manifold.

1. Position the upper intake manifold and tighten the bolts in the sequence shown.

1. Connect the PSP electrical connector.

1. Position the transmission vent tube and bracket and install the bolt.

1. Position the wire harness and install the nut.

1. Install the two electrical connectors on the left side of the intake manifold.

1. Install the vapor management valve (VMV) vacuum hose.

1. Connect the three vacuum hoses on the back of the upper intake manifold.
1Connect the chassis vacuum hose.
2Connect the engine vacuum hose.
3Connect the PCV hose.

1. Connect the EGR vacuum regulator solenoid electrical connector and the vacuum hose.

1. Install the EGR valve vacuum hose and EGR tube nut.

1. Connect the TP sensor and IAC electrical connectors.

1. Connect the throttle cables.
1Install the throttle cable bracket bolts.
2Connect the throttle cable.
3If equipped, connect the speed control cable.

1. Install the air cleaner outlet tube.
1Position the air cleaner outlet tube.
2Install the hoses.
3Install the clamps.

1. Install the engine appearance cover.
nk you.
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech
Thanks for your great help. It was a pleasure working with you.

thank you.

Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech