Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

97 ford explorer: 4.0L..My check engine light..oxygen sensor..stall

I have a 97 ford explorer 4.0L 6V SOHC. My check engine light has been on for a long time and has always said that a oxygen sensor is bad. Well here recently my car idles rough and has started to stall out when I press my brake. I took it to Advanced Auto Parts to have them retrieve the codes and now it says system too lean and oxygen sensor malfunction (Bank 2, Sensor 1). what should I do? I'm not sure if that oxygen sensor could be my trouble or if it might be my IAC Valve.
Chat Conversation Started
Ron :

The code is not likely being set by a bad HO2S sensor but instead , a leaking intake gasket, the 4.0 has major problems with the upper intake gaskets leaking causing the problem you are having. Ford has released a new redesigned gasket set along with new isolator bolts that will resolve you concern. This would also cause the engine to idle rough as well as stall//

Customer:

is that expensive to repair

Ron :

Here is the labor and part pricing.

Intake Manifold Gasket
Manifold Gasket
UpperYL2Z9E436AA$5.07
LowerYL2Z9461AA$2.05

LaborSkill
Level
Mfg.
Warranty
Standard
Intake Manifold Gasket
Replace
Manifold Gasket
UpperB1.01.4
Upper & LowerB1.52.6
NOTE
With Cruise Control, AddB0.10.1

Customer:

What does it involve? is it something that i regular person could do?

Ron :

It involves removing the upper intake and replacing the gasket, I can send you instructions if you like>

Customer:

please do!

Ron :

Here you go click HERE

Customer:

how would know if it is that? is there a way to test it? I already tried so much that didn't work and don't really have money to spend on another thing that isn't the problem!

Ron :

In some case you can take some carb cleaner and carefully spray around the intake area and it might show the leak, it dosnt always work but is a very commom fix for yhis problem and code.

Customer:

do you have a diagram of where the oxygen sensors are located?

Customer:

you know just in case

Ron :

They are in the exhaust pipe just below where the pipe bolts to the exhaust manifold.

Customer:

the heated one for bank 2 is located before the converter, right? is it hard to get to?

Ron :

Yes that is correct , bank 2 is the drivers side. Yes they are pretty tight and not a fun job.

Customer:

well i askd you because the people at advance told me it was on passenger side

Customer:

sorry i'm glad i ask you

Ron :

Well they are wrong, bank one is the passenger side (same as the #1 cylinder)

Full Size Image

Customer:

so if it has a leak will i see bubbles or will it just suck it in when i spray that stuff! They seem to always be wrong and they give me wrong parts for my truck

Ron :

Yes it will change the way the engine runs. It wery common as well. You could unplug both HO2S sensors and the car will not run rough. A leak will tho.

Customer:

thats what i thought!! I tried telling them that didn't think it would that sensor bc it just tellings the computer something is wrong but doesn't change anything!

Ron :

Well they dont fix cars but they love to sell parts.

Customer:

My brother said the same thing was happening to his van and he took it somewhere to get it fix and it was something under the distributor cap he said they described to be like the butterfly thing in a carburator. does the explorer have anything like that in it or that would do this?

Customer:

thats so true!!

Ron :

You do not have a distributor.

Customer:

really?

Customer:

what do i have instead of that?

Ron :

You have a crankshaft sensor the send the signal to the PCM (computer) which in turns fires the coil on the coil pack.

Customer:

ok well thank you so much for your help! i really hope that this is what is wrong!

Customer:

it seems like an easy fix

Ron :

Your very welcome,thank you as well.