Don
Don, Ford Senior Master
Experience:  ASE Master certified, Ford Senior Master, 20 year experience
14629033

What causes the gear shift to lock up and I have to use a screw

Customer Question

What causes the gear shift to lock up and I have to use a screw driver pushing down in that little hole by the swifter to get it to unlock?
1999 Ford Escort...
XXXXX XXXXX [email protected]
Category: Ford
Expert:  Don replied 7 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Don :

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX the brake lights work on the car

Customer:

yes

Customer:

pretty rude to step out while on line with a question

Don :

ok there are a couple fo things that can cause this. a bad fuse. interior fuse panel fuse #4 20amp. there is a switch on the brake pedal that lets the shift lock know the peadal is pressed. also there is a little rubber stopper for the switch. these break and fall off. or the shift lok itself. do you know how to use a test light to do tests on the system

Don :

sorry sometime the system locks up and we have to step out to reboot the system

Customer:

I do not have a test light. You are talking to a 68 year old woman.

Don :

ok I do have many women that I help fix their own cars. I do not assume any one not capible of fixing their cars that is why I ask. the car is going to have to have electrical test done to it. have the rubber stopper on the pedal check first. this is the usual problem but if it is on then the test will have to be done to make sure the right part is replaced