Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

fuel pump driver module whst does it do

fuel pump driver module whst does it do
7/15/2010
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Ron :

The Fuel Pump Driver Module communicates diagnostic information to the powertrain control module (PCM) through the Fuel Pump Monitor (FPM) circuit. This information is sent by the FPDM as a duty cycle signal which in turns controls the fuel pump.

Customer:

My ford cranks fine, I've replaced all wires, plugs, coil, fule has been refreshed. I was told it sounds like the fule module and it keeps it from starting until pressure builds up. Beacuse if I keep trying it will start after a loooong time but then runs ok

Ron :

Yes a bad driver modual could cause this problem by no allowing the fuel pump to run. That being said, a week fuel pump will do this as well. I would start checking fuel pressure when its hard to start.

Customer:

how's the best easiest way to test fuel pressure, I will replace the module tomorrow and see if theres a change

Ron :

Install a fuel pressure guage to the fuel rail service port.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Ron, ASE Certified Technician