Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

My 2001 Ford Ranger has the check engine light on, takes 2-3

IMy 2001 Ford Ranger has...
IMy 2001 Ford Ranger has the check engine light on, takes 2-3 times to start and is sluggish up hills.

I replaced the spark plugs, fuel filter and nothing changed. I just replaced the coil pack and the Engine Light is off now. The truck accellerates a little better but is still very sluggish up hills.

What could the cause be?
7/14/2010
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.I will try my best to help you with your question.

If your check engine light is on, your ECU (Engine Computer) has seen a fault with an engine emission component and has stored a code. If you stop by any auto parts store, they will get the codes from the ECU for you for free. Get the codes and post them on this page. The codes will point us to what is wrong with your Ranger before you spend any more money on parts that will not fix your truck.

As stated above, my Engine Light was on but is now off after I replaced the coil pack.

However, it still is running sluggish up hill and idling a little rough

What codes did you get?

They would start with a "P".

Example P0305.

not sure, i have to check with Aamco.. they never told me just said something about my coil and senser
Is the truck running the same way before you replaced the coil?
NO, it runs a little better after replacing the coil pack today..

OK, I got the codes: This is what the AAMCO guy said...

IAT (Intake Air Temp) Sensor code P0113 and P0352 Ignition Coil B Primary/Secondary curcuit
sorry, I lost internet connection briefly... not sure if I missed a reply

You did not miss a reply. Have been busy typing the reply.

Ok. The code P0352 is for the coil pack. The code P0113 is for the IAT sensor.

Your IAT is part of the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor that is mounted in the intake tube next to the air filter.

But with the hard start and lack of power problem, you may also have a fuel pump problem.

If the hard start problem happens after the truck sits for a couple of hours or overnight, try doing this and see what happens.

Turn the ignition key to on, not start. Then turn it off and then back on. Do this about 3 times and see hour the truck starts.

If it starts right up, the fuel pump is the problem. What is happening is the fuel is draining back to the fuel tank and when you go and start it after it sits overnight, the fuel pump has to pump the fuel back up to the fuel injectors.

There is a check valve built into the fuel pump assembly that holds the fuel in the lines when the engine is turned off. The check valve cannot be replaced separately. You will have to replace the complete fuel pump.

But do the test first and see what happens.

Also low fuel pressure can cause lack of power, especially up hill, along with the MAF.

Ok, so let me make sure I get this right..

1st I need to replace the Air Temp Sensor? I looked it up on AutoZone and thats what came up ~ and the guy from AAMCO just called me and told me that the part was part of the MAF and is pretty easy to replace.

2nd ~ Turn my ignition on 3 x's (not starting, just ON) and then try to start. If it starts right up after I do that then it means I probably need a new fuel pump.

What if it doesn't start right up after I do the ignition thing?

Then we will have to look else where.

But the pump is the most common problem.

I also stated that the IAT is part of the MAF earlier. It is easy to replace.

But if your check engine light is off and you no longer have the code P0113, hold off on the MAF. Lets check the fuel system.

A. Penland
Great, thanks!
Your welcome.
A. Penland
A. Penland