Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

1997 Ford F150 rear axle assemly #S869B How do you remove

Customer Question

1997 Ford F150 rear axle assemly #S869B
How do you remove the preload spring clip to access "C" clip attached to axle ends?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 7 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

Remove the locking pin holding the pinion shaft in. Now you should be able to push each axle shaft in enough to get the C clips off. If not then use a hammer and push the S spring through. Then rotate the differential 180 degrees and pull the spring out with pliers and a screwdriver wedged in to get it above the ring gear. I am almost 100% sure the axle shafts have to be removed prior to the limited slip S spring removal.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Chris,

Thank you for your response. However while waiting to hear from you I figured out what was necessary to do and got the whole assembly out yesterday. Once the preload spring was removed everything happened easily.

Glad its resolved