Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

1997 Ford Thunderbird: clunking noise..the suspension..road..culprit

1997 Ford Thunderbird. Has developed...
1997 Ford Thunderbird. Has developed a clunking noise in the suspension when driving over lumpy road. How do I determine exactly which part of the suspension is the culprit. Local mechanic says you have to replace the entire suspension front and back for $2600 since it cant be pinpointed. How do I pinpoint which part of the suspension is doing this. Unaffected by steering. Thanx Tom Lawford
7/11/2010
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.I will try my best to help you with your question.

I do not think your entire suspension needs to be replaced. First find out if the noise is coming from the back or the front. Then check the sway bar links. You have a link at each wheel, which will total 4. You have front and rear sway bars and a link at each end which connects them to the lower control arms.

I have a 1997 and a 1995 TBird, and I have changed the links twice since the cars were new.

But check the links and see if the rubber grommets are intake where they connect to the lower control arms.

A. Penland
A. Penland
A. Penland