Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1997 F150: VIN..1FTDX1723VND45222 Odometer 335,..clutch..ford dealer…

Customer Question
In June 2009 my...
In June 2009 my 1997 F150 VIN-1FTDX1723VND45222 Odometer 335,731.00 passed the state inspection in NC. In Sept 2009 my clutch went out & I took it to a ford dealer for the repair. They said I also had a Check Engine Light that had come on and wanted to charge me $1100.00 to replace the Catalytic Converter. I choose to take it to a local muffler shop who charged me $350.00 but put in an after market system. The mech said his single unit replaced the Front & Rear components for the right hand side. He reset the computer and after a 100 mile round trip to work the next day the Check Eng light came back. He plugged in his tester and said the code called out an O2 Sensor for the down stream position on the right side. He cleared the computer and the next day the Ck Eng light returned showing the Catalytic convertor again.
This year I have a Check Engine light that won't go off. The Advance Auto tech got a P0402 DTC code from his plug in tester, Failure description was "Catlyst System Efficiency below threshold (Bank 1)". To date I?ve spent upwards of $500 to put out the Eng Ck Light. Here?s my questions; Why did the dealer suggest changing the converter? My thoughts now are that if the converter was defective the code pointing to the converter was in error. If the converter was not defective given the code reappeared after replacing it, what could the problem be? Please give me an independent acessement. My email address [email protected]

Can the DMV waive the failure code so you pass the state insp if you spend over a certain amt to fix the failure code? If so what is that figure in North Carolina?

Please advise.

VR

Denny Ludlow
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
7/8/2010
Ford Mechanic: jordynsdaddy,
 replied 8 years ago
jordynsdaddy
The PO402 code is what they told you. It deals with the downstream 02 sensor. Which actually does NOT affect the vehicle performance. Its only funtion is for emissions, it moniters the gases coming out of the converter. In most cases this code is just a bad sensor, but in some, its a blocked converter. Its one or the other. When they installed the aftermarket converter, did they reinstall the downstream o2? ( the sensor AFTER the converter) If they didn't, that code will always pop up. If they did reinstall it, they probally installed a bad sensor. Which was most likely the problem to begin with. As far as a waiver for emissions i'm not sure in NC. I know here in PA there is such a waiver after so many repairs have been made to fix the problem. If the O2 is there, i would replace it. Also check the plug and wiring for damage. If you call a shop there, they should tell you the waiver law as far as repairs go. good luck and let me know if i can be of anymore help.

In my problem statement above I mistakenly left out a crtical element. Let me clarify;

He plugged in his tester and said the code called out an O2 Sensor for the down stream position on the right side. ----------When I asked how much they cost, he said 40 to 60 bucks. He showed me a used one and he cleared the computer. I purchased one for 50 bucks and installed it myself NP's . The next day the Ck Eng light returned and the mech's tester showed the same previous P0402 code for the Catalytic converter failure. -----------

So I started with a converter code and replace the converter. Then an O2 Sensor code appears. I chg out the O2 snsr and the convrtr code returns.

I did not check the condition of the wire harness leading to the connector on the O2 sensor. Any chance the computer is malfunctioning?

Ford Mechanic: jordynsdaddy,
 replied 8 years ago
Did you say he sold you a used one? I would test the O2 before i suspect the PCM. I thought you had stated code PO420. Is it a code PO402 coming up?
Ford Mechanic: jordynsdaddy,
 replied 8 years ago

you had me alittle confused. Code 420 is a catt. effiency code. But code PO402 is an EGR code.

HE - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Systems

<p>The mech showed me a used O2 sensr not sold me one. And I replaced the down stream O2 snsr bank 1 on R/H side, The current code is P0420 Catt Eff below thrshld Bank 1. Sorry bout that I gooned up the code & put the 0 before the 0 correct Failure Code is "P0420".</p><p>                                                                                                                                                                           </p>