Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I was driving my 1999 ford taurus and it stalled on me. i…

i was driving my 1999...
i was driving my 1999 ford taurus and it stalled on me . i noticed a mile or so before it stalled the oil light was flickering faintley. now it has a horrible knock and runs really rough. it sound like something in the front cam. this is is a 1999 ford taurus se DOHC with the 3.0 L engine. is this something that if i get a book i might be able to fix and what do you think it is?
7/7/2010
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Chris (aka- Moose) :

Hello

Will it currently not start at all?
Have you checked the cylinder compression and oil pressure?

Customer:

it starts and i have not checked the cylinder compression or oil pressure

Customer:

i believe i know a guy who has the tools to check it

Customer:

would the oil pressure cause a rod to bend or just no oil would be what is making that sound?

Chris (aka- Moose) :

No oil pressure can cause the timing to jump and cause extreme fast wear internally and can cause a knock since the rod and main bearings are not getting lube.

Customer:

i had a friend that said it could be the timing chain

Customer:

how much does something like that run to get fixed?

Chris (aka- Moose) :

If its the oil pump then expect to pay about 800$ for the repair. if its the chains and guides then expect about a 1,000$ for repair.

Customer:

alright is that at a ford dealership or just about anywhere.

Customer:

so what your saying is i have to get my timing chain back in sync and a new oil pump correct?

Customer:

is it possible the pressure is getting lost somewhere else or is it most likely an oil pump issue

Chris (aka- Moose) :

Those are dealership prices. You at this time do not know if there is a chain issue or not, a compresison test will verify good or bad. Its likel ythe oil pump or a clogged oil pump pickup. the first place its going to loose pressure is a spun rod or main bearing.

Customer:

alright that makes a lot of sense now that you say that. will testing any cylinder suffice? or is there a certain one ? so saying the chain is good. i would just have to replace the oil pump and the sound would go away nearly immediatly and thats it?

Customer:

alright well about a month before it died i had put a little too much oil in . maybe a quart or 2 because my father said the oil light was flickering. would too much oil cause a pump to fail or would that have screwed me on the bearing issue? i changed the oil and about a week later this happened.

Chris (aka- Moose) :

To much oil can cause a oil aeration concern which is when the oil pump is sucking air from the oil getting splashed to much. Normally though this does not cause bearing failure. Since the light has been ocming on for a while this means the car has been running for a while with not enough oil pressure. Check the cylinder compresison and see if there low or way up and down when compared to each other then remove the oil pan for an inspection.

Customer:

alright will do thank you so much this may just save my life.

Customer:

i already put a new transmission in and now this... sad day. but if its under a grand i might just do it because i can sell it to a friend for 1800 which will get it out of my hands and pay off whats left on it and get me a motorcycle

Customer:

gotta love college

Customer:

will do definitly worth the money

Customer:

bye have a great night

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Your welcome