Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Is F: injectors..the truck started surging and idling..highway..egr…

Customer Question
i have a surging problem...
i have a surging problem , have got two injectors changed out and then the truck started surging and idling up to 1200 rpm and surging going down the highway also. The truck is F-250 w/ 6.0 175000 miles and i just changed the egr value two days ago truck stills doing the same thing
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
7/5/2010
Ford Mechanic: NicksSticks, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
NicksSticks
NicksSticks, ASE Certified Technician

Hi! is there a check engine light, is so what is the code?

How can you describe the serging? Just runs rough?

Does it start easily?

Thanks!

There is no check engin light , and when it surges it just idles up and when going down the road if running at 70 miles an hr it surges and will kick it up to 74 miles an hr. and when slowing down to stop it will idle up to about 1200 rpms and after about 5 mins it will finaly idle down to normal and sometime it run ruff and almost die. It starts easley runs good now power loss and when need to get up and go there is no problem when kick it in the ass.

Great information...

By any chance does it seem like the transmission is shifting into different gears when the problem happens? Have you tried shifting into 3 and seeing if the problem goes away? This is a great check, does not seem like an engine concern.

What was the reason for an egr replacement or injector replacements? Was it for the same complaint you have now? Was a check engine light on at one time?

Edited by NicksSticks on 7/5/2010 at 9:26 PM EST
The reason for the two injectors truck went to smoking and running bad and at that time the check engine light was on and i pulled the egr value out and cleaned it run the truck no change so i took off the wires and still no change so i put a new egr value and still no change truck still surging and idling up. As for as trans acting up can not tell any different in it. I have not tried putting it in third to see if any difference

With the light on can you remember the codes?

and if possible, attempt to drive the truck with it in third (wont hurt a thing) and see if the problem is still there.

Also, is it still smoking, and if so, what color smoke?

do not remember the codes took it to the ford place and they changed the two injectors said they were not working all four injectors have been changed out on 1,3,5,7 and there is no more smoke truck does not smoke at all just the surging problem and i will get back to you on the driving the truck in third to see what happens

Thank you for the info, can definely reach a right answer after your drive. Will be checking throughout today and tomorrow.

Thanks!

went and drove the truck and no change its still surging and when let off the petal its is still idling up and takes alittle time before it idles back to normal idle