Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

how do you change an alternator on a 2003 ford focus 2.0 S

Customer Question

how do you change an alternator on a 2003 ford focus 2.0 SPI
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 7 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Chris (aka- Moose) :

Thanks for visiting Just Answer, I'm Chris. We can speak back and forth here for however long it takes to address this concern. Once you have the concern resolved and or know the steps on how to fix it or diagnose it. Please reply and say "I ACCEPT" saying Thanks alone will not give me credit for helping you.

See if these ford diagrams which ford techs work from help you out, you can download them HERE.

Customer:

i cannot get to the tensionor it is too close to the fire wall

Chris (aka- Moose) :

If you cant get your ratchet on the belt tensioner to release it then your going to need a belt tensioner release tool shown below.

Full Size Image

if you still cant get the belt off then get a helper and use an old waist belt. Wrap it around the serpentine belt and pull real hard and get your helper to carefully push the belt off the pullies.

Customer:

will the tensionor then get easier to take loose so i can put the belt back on with the new alternator

Customer:

i bought the belt tensionor tool but it does not seem the bolt is turning

Chris (aka- Moose) :

On this vehicle. Your not turning the tensioner pulley mounting bolt. Your inserting a 3/8 ratchet or square drive in the tensioner arm and turning the arm. see the below image.

Full Size Image

Customer:

let me go and try that

Customer:

i got it out thanks

Customer:

should i go ahead and replace the serpentine belt since it seems pretty hard to change although the belt is in good shape

Chris (aka- Moose) :

Belts are fairly cheap and if you have over or near 75k miles it would be a good preventative maintenace task going ahead and replacing it.

Your welcome, if this is all that needed then please press the accept button or simply reply and say I accept. Have a great 4th

Customer:

you too

Thanks