Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

where is logic wire location in rear of 2010 Ranger

Customer Question
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
7/1/2010
Ford Mechanic: Dr. Hamman, Ford Technician replied 8 years ago
Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Ford Technician
Explain a little more about what you are looking for.
Every truck I have owned previous to my new Ranger had a wire loom to the rear of the vehicle that had a connection for a cap brake light. I looked in all the obvious places and only found a trailer connection plug in the rear. The Cab of the truck has a brake light mounted on the top in the middle and it is wiredin some manner so that it only works with the brake light circuit. Since I could not find a 2010 repair manual for the Ranger I thought I would try this forum.
Regards Frichards
Frichards, so you are looking for the wiring for the third top center brake light and not the two rear brake lights. Also where do you need to gain access to this wire, let me know and I will try to help.,
The earlier model trucks had a wire in the harness next to the left rear tail light or next to the trailer light plug. I can not find anything on the 2010 Ranger close to the back of the truck and running a wire from the Cab center light would involve drilling holes which I am trying to avoid. Maybe I should check the Mazda 2300 and see if it has one.

If there is no existing wire or connection available in the rear of the truck I am stuck with drilling holes or removing the headliner to run wires from the Cab center light.
Regards Frichards
Hi, I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed.

The ranger doesn't have a wire in the rear for that, but there is an inexpensive device called a Command Third Brake Light Logic Module, you can install to get the signal you need for an auxiliary, or "third" brake light. You attach a wire from each rear brake light to the module and it has one wire that comes out of it that will have the auxiliary brake light function. Check out this link right HERE, and scroll all the way down, it is at the bottom of the page. The cost is $15.95. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.
Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Ford Technician
I consulted with the dealer's service manager and was told that no wire or connection exists on the 2010 Ranger. He recommended using the trailer light connector to activate the cap brake light. You saved me $15 worth of time to my advantage so I will pay your fee.
RegardsCustomer