Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

running fine..less than a week old new battery had to be jumped…

Customer Question
The Battery was replaced and...
The Battery was replaced and was running fine. Was going to trade in the vehicle, and it sat for 3 days at the car lot. When I went to start the vehicle it would not start and a less than a week old new battery had to be jumped. I drove a short distance about 5 miles, and stopped the vehicle. The vehicle would not start, and there is a "clicking," noice coming from what I believe the fuse box on the drivers left side. What is wrong? Betty, Las Cruces, NM
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/30/2010
Ford Mechanic: Brian, Ford Shop Foreman replied 8 years ago
Brian
Brian, Ford Shop Foreman

Thanks for coming to just answer, if I could get some more information about your Expedition, it would help me to better answer your question, first, has it been raining or have you gone through a car wash recently, and does this problem come and go, possibly when it rains or did this just start for the first time ?

Hello Brian, thanks for answering back so quickly. Last Thursday, June 24th, was the first time this happened. After the battery was replaced, the Expedition ran perfectly no problems. Even ran fine to the Car Dealer on Sunday, when I parked it at their dealership while I was allowed to take the potential vehicle I was going to purchase, but didn't. Could the car dealership have done something? Betty
Yes, I need to know what is wrong with my vehicle. A brand new battery was put in less than a week ago, the car was running fine, until I took it to the car dealership, because I was going to trade it in. It sat at their dealership for a day, and now it stops after I have to jump it, and then turn it off.

Most likely the dealer could not have done anything to cause this, if there is a clicking noise from the fuse box area there is most likely something staying powered up or sticking on and causing the battery to drain. I had asked about rain or a car wash because these vehicles have a problem with water leaking in the upper left corner of the windshield and running in behind the moldings and right into the fuse box, also the gem module is bolted right to the back of the fuse box, this can cause all kind of different electrical problems, even battery drain or accessories staying on. Also a bad alternator can cause a drain and run the battery down, even when not running. First thing I would recommend would be to have the alternator tested, the diodes are the component that prevent the battery from draining down, most charging system testers will test the diodes in the alternator, if they are ok, I would recommend to remove the fuse box and see if there are any signs of moisture or white powdery substance which would indicate moisture has been collected there. If there is any moisture you can usually use a hair dryer or heat gun to dry it out, and you will need to have the windshield resealed.