Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Jumped..started fine..that but it's as if the throttle is off

Customer Question
car was dead in the...
car was dead in the morning so i got it jumped so i could get to work. after work dead again so i replaced the battery. started fine after that but its as if the throttle is off. It literally will only idle now. I put it in gear & it just slowly rolls forward no matter how much u try to give it gas.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/30/2010
Ford Mechanic: EMRSR, Master Certified Service Manager replied 8 years ago
EMRSR
EMRSR, Master Certified Service Manager
Disconnect the new battery and let it sit for about 10 minutes, reconnect and take the car for about a 10-15 mile ride. When a PCM or battery are disconnected it is normal for some abnormal driveability issue, once driven the strategies are relearned.
I tried that and the problem still remains. the check engine light and the orange wrench light are both now locked in on the inst panel now as well. The battery i baught is rated for 580 cold start amps where as the car calls for 590. I figured as long as I wasnt over the rating that would be safe. Could that minor difference have actually cause this problem?
Ok now that the light is on the system will need to be scanned for codes. Your vehicle is equipped with an electronic throttle body as well as an electronic gas pedal. One of them has likely failed, but the scan will give more detail. Just take a peek first to make sure that both are connected and the plug was not knocked off.
you really think something completely unrelated would go out at that same time? Thats an incredible coincidence.
Sounds strange, but the botXXXXX XXXXXne is the warning light is on and it needs to be scanned for codes. That is the next step, at this point maybe the code that it gives will be the cause of the battery to go dead???
I dont have any way to check the codes. The car is in the middle of nowhere. I just need to get it running.
The system has a built in "limp in" mode which allows it to go just above idle, there is no bypassing this. It needs the scan to see whats up.