Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

ford explorer 4x4: 4.0 when putting in reverse

Customer Question
04 ford explorer 4x4 4.0...
04 ford explorer 4x4 4.0 when putting in reverse, it has a semi harsh engagement
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/29/2010
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 8 years ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
When you made the previous repairs did it improve at all? Has the PCM been reflashed to the latest calibration? Are there any codes stored? Does it drive ok otherwise?
no improvement, drives the same, originally cleared codes, no new codes
What codes did you have,m how hard is the engagement is it delayed more than a few seconds? Did you use a ford solenoid body?
no codes, doesn't slam but it is felt, no hesitation, ford selenoid body was used
Line pressure is highest in reverse so the shift quality would be harder than in forward. As long as it isnt delayed then it should be engaging properly either an issue in the driveline itself such as a trans mount or loose companion flange at the differential causing a thump clunk feel when engaging reverse. A reflash may also help improve shift feel as ford has had several updates regarding drivability and trans shift issues. They had alot of problems with the Pressure control solenoid causing delayed and harsh engagements in drive and erratic shift timing concerns. Inspect all engine and trans mounts for being in good shape and driveshaft u-joints and companion flange bolts for being tight. These are the most common sources of concerns in the driveline.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
A line pressure test needs to be done to see what area of the trans is at fault. It will help isolate what section of the hydraulic system is at fault based on pressure readings. if you have a gauge I can list tables and causes based on your pressures.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.