Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1999 F250: Turbo..rough..only start without a jump..relay sensor…

Customer Question
1999 F250 7.3L Turbo with...
1999 F250 7.3L Turbo with 118,000
The vehicle is new to me. It idled rough when I bought it and would only start without a jump after it had been running for some time.
I have since replaced:
All glow plugs, relay sensor, injector#4 and both batteries.
The truck starts right up now. It still idles rough and is VERY slow in gears 1,2,3 and 4. Once I hit 70 MPH it responds how I imagine it would suppose to. Note: The relay sensor made a strange noise after it had been replaced.
I am running out of money and ideas. Can someone help, please?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/29/2010
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 8 years ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Unless you have access to a good higher end style scan tool it will be hard to check much further. A diagnostic check for codes with a scan tool should be done first along with a cylinder contributuion test. Since you changed one injector you could have an issue with one of the other injectors or its o-rings or a problem with the injector driver module itself. They had alot of issues with the valve cover wiring harnesses for melting or falling apart as well. Basic things to check is you are using the correct engine oil grade and type otherwise it can cause all sorts of odd drivability concerns Rotella T 15w40 or Motorcraft 15w40 are engineered specifiaclly for these engines. Other concerns could be a problem with the IPC or IPR systems which regulate and control high engine oil pressure to the injectors themselves. Also make sure the air filter is not restricted and sealed properly as it can cause damage to the turbo and exhaust valves.