Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

96 taurus: started driving..no first gear, over drive, or reverse…

Customer Question
my girlfriend was driving her...
my girlfriend was driving her 96 taurus with 110000 on it one day this spring, and all of a sudden she felt like she hit something. she took the next exit and examined the car and there was no damage. when she got back in and started driving again she found that there was no first gear, over drive, or reverse anymore. She continued driving on her remaining two gears and made it another week and 300 miles before the car silently lost all gears, shifting through the gears had zero effect on anything, no noises, nothing. I towed the car home with me and brought it to a mechanically inclined friends house. When he got in and started it the two gears where back, but when we went to put it on a lift and inspect it last weekend, the gears where gone again. There tranny fluid is at a normal level and does not smell unusually burnt. One odd thing i did notice was that after we pushed the car into my friends garage with it idling this weekend, when he asked me too shift through the gears while he inspected the tranny linkages, i couldn't get the gear lever to shift past reverse gear no matter what i did. I even shut off in restarted the car and fiddled with the steering wheel but it just wouldn't go. We don't want to pull the transmision untill we're certain that it's not an external or sensor problem. any ideas?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/29/2010
Ford Mechanic: Tim West, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Thanks for visiting Just Answer,
It definately sounds like the transmission is shot, is there a check engine light on as well?
I suspect there would be some transmission related codes.
Inspect the transmission fluid for being burned or for shavings inside.
The smell I suspect is a result of the tranny going.
I wouldn't spend too much time diagnosing this problem. It's going to need a transmission more than likely.
You can always inspect the wiring for damage, but with the symptoms you are having I am not sure a wiring problem can cause.
no. no check engine or any other kind of lights are on. you don't believe that it could be a linkage or sensor issue? it sounds like these cars are cursed with regular ocurences of both. why would the shifter lever stop at reverse? that's what makes me wonder about linkage issues. there's also a sensor called a neutral safety switch that can cause a car to neutral out, but it sounds like there's usually some other side affects, and the car has none besides not moving. lol
graphicOh, I guess I misunderstood the post.
If the actual shifter is jamming up, you probably have a bad shift cable.
I replaced one on this vehicle the other day actually.
If you pop the hood and look at the neutral safety switch you can manually shift between the gears. See if you can manually do it. If it works by hand replace the shift cable.
See the #10? You should be able to see it from drivers side standing near the fender.
Make sure you have someone hitting the brake othewise you could send the car driving.

Edited by Tim West on 6/29/2010 at 8:10 PM EST
no it wont shift manually. stops in the same place that it did when i tryed it from inside the car so what ever's binding it must be in the transmision i suppose.
Thats right, you should be able to move that shift lever into drive N P etc.....
Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
so the inability to shift is a side effect of the tranny being shot. thanks for your time.
That's right. Good luck.