Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

92 ford: overheating..thermostat..it likely to be the water pump…

Customer Question
I have a 92 ford...
I have a 92 ford crown vic and it is overheating. I have change the thermostat but that did not fix the problem. Is it likely to be the water pump or the fan. any help would be great.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/29/2010
Ford Mechanic: EMRSR, Master Certified Service Manager replied 8 years ago
EMRSR
EMRSR, Master Certified Service Manager
Is coolant circulating, what heat do you feel in the upper and lower hoses? Does it overheat at idle...what about overheating at cruising speeds ?

The upper hose is very hot and it overheats at cruise and sitting at an idle. Not sure if coolant is cirulating because it is bubbling out of the coolant reserve. After I change the therostat and filled up the reserve, I started the car and the level went down slowly and then I continued to fill...Not sure about the lower hose.

Are you sure you did not put the thermostat in upside down ?

graphicgraphicgraphic

Yes i am sure that I installed it correctly. I also ran the car without it installed and still over heated.
Have you checked the fan clutch operation yet ? make sure there is not a build up of debris in front of the condenser and between the condenser and radiator. If there is too much debris it will block the airflow.