Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1998 Ford Explorer: it back to Auto and it stays in 4 wheel drive…

Customer Question
Have a 1998 Ford Explorer...
Have a 1998 Ford Explorer. Just bought it used. I put it inXXXXXlow, switched it back to Auto and it stays inXXXXX Any tricks to get it out ofXXXXX Thanks.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/28/2010
Ford Mechanic: John Mc, Ford Technician replied 8 years ago
John Mc
John Mc, Ford Technician
Chat Conversation Started
John Mc :

Hi, I am John Mc, a Ford dealer technician.
I hope I can help solve your problem quickly and accurately.

Please wait a moment while I work on your problem.

John Mc :

To shift into or out of 4 wheel low you have to be stopped, in neutral (not park or drive, only neutral) and have the brake applied. Then shift to 2wd and it should go back.

Customer:

OK, I'll have to try it tomorrow and see if that will fix the problem. Any way to contact you again tomorrow if I'm still having trouble?

John Mc :

Yes just post back here, you should have a link in your email from JustAnswer.

John Mc :

If this answer has been helpful to you please help me by accepting. This is how I receive credit for my efforts in helping you!

Thanks,

John Mc

If you still have follow ups please ask and I will be glad to assist.

Customer:

Thanks John. I will accept

John Mc
John Mc, Ford Technician

Hi John,

I tried switching out of 4wd low by the procedure you said and it did not work. Definitely stayed in 4wd and the dash light stayed on. What's next to try?

Try banging on the 4wd transfer case motor while someone else switches from 4wd to 2wd. This is the motor on the back of the transfer case. If you still have a problem your next step is going to be getting the system scanned to see if there are trouble codes causing your issue.

What does the transfer case motor look like? I saw one black cylinder(looked like a windshield wiper motor) and then next to it was something round and blue with a bunch of wires running into it. Banging on it should give me what result?

The black one that looks like a wiper motor.

If banging on it causes it to shift the motor is bad.

We tried this and nothing happened. What's next to try?

We got a code - it says 4x4 low switch malfunction. Would this be the switch on the dashboard or is there some type of limit switch down on the transfer case motor or something like that?
Can you give me the code number? That would be much more helpful.
The code number is XXXXX
Can you recheck that code number, I don't have a listing in the 98 explorer manual.
John Mc
John Mc, Ford Technician

The mechanic has gone home for the day. I will get them to check it in the morning and get back to you. Thanks.

No problem. I'll be on all day tomorrow.

Hi John,

The mechanic double checked the code and it is P1729 4x4 low switch malfunction. I asked them to check the year of the vehicle - it was made in may of 1998.

Thanks.

Hi John,

We tried disconnecting the battery to clear the code and were then able to switch it out of 4wd. I'm going to accept so you can get paid. I would appreciate it if you could give me any insight into what caused the problem. Is the dashboard switch maybe not working right due to age or not being used? Maybe something else entirely? Are there any position switches on the transfer case motor that the code might be referring to?

Thanks again for your help.

Sorry I haven't got to you earlier but I just got on.

I rechecked my book and that code doesn't show up. Don't know why but it is not listed. If you disconnected the battery and it started working you may just have had a glitch in the GEM module. If the switch was bad (very rare) it still wouldn't work. The motor has contact plates to tell the computer what range it is in and this is usually one of the problems they have. If it is working now after a disconnect it was probably just a glitch and you rebooted it just like you do a home computer. You may have solved your problem in a simple way!

Thanks,

John Mc