Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ford: van..a ditch now my steering wheel is turned..pulling..drivers…

my son put my ford...
my son put my ford e250 van in a ditch now my steering wheel is turned on a 45 when your going straight and its pulling to the left and the drivers wheel in leaning in at top what do you think is damaged
6/28/2010
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Ron :

In most cases this mean things got bent , most likely the tie rod and like the lower control arm, its going to need a complete front end inspection to know what part is bent .

Customer:

would a tie rod make the tire lean in at the top

Ron :

No not likely, it would pull it in and or out, Leaning in at the top means the cambers way out and I would suspect the control arm or one of the camber plugs was knocked out.

Customer:

if the control arm is the arm that runs across both front wheels it looks like its pulled out on the drivers side you can see the entire rubber is out

Ron :

Well that would be you cause, Its not safe to drive eaither way.

Customer:

can i replace that or is it something a shop has to do

Ron :

Its best left up to a shop because its going to have to be aligned after the repair.

Ron :

The tie rod runs across to each side, if it bent bad enough, its is possiable to pull the tire in at the top or at least appear to.

Customer:

ok last year iput ball joints and tie rods on both sides well i took the spindles and had the pressed in but i dont understand this problem by looking at it thanks

Ron :

A good front end shop can much better see what all is bent. Your welcome.

Customer:

it looks like the ball joints are in place i dont understand how a tire can lean in

Ron :

It can lean in if something is effecting camber. Hard for me to say with out being there under it with you.

Ron :

Its not likely a ball joint.

Customer:

like i said that bar that runs across the front is pulled out of the drivers side i dont know what it does

Ron :

That sound like the tie rod or the sway bar, it has rubber bushings.

Ron :

Look at this picture and tell me which part it is.

Full Size Image

Ron :

Here is the rest of the front end.

Full Size Image

Customer:

number 8 is pulled out on the right

Ron :

#8 is the stablizer bar(sway bar).

Customer:

and it looks like what ever that is connected to the steering box may have slipped

Ron :

The tie rod hooks to the pitman arm and the pitman hooks to the steering box.

Ron :

I wonder about the axles as well because the stablizer bar hooks to them as well.

Customer:

i think theres a problem at the steering box but i can see it well in the diagram

Ron :

That could very well be, from the sounds of it , he hit it pretty hard.

Customer:

looks like axle problem look out wallet

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
May be time to have your insurance adjuster have a look. Thank you very much and good luck to you.