Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Door ajar light..door panel power lock doesnt work

Customer Question
door ajar light on for...
door ajar light on for the last week. All doors are closed. door panel power lock doesn't work. remote still locks and unlocks the door
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/28/2010
Ford Mechanic: Shawn, Auto Service Technician replied 8 years ago
Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The most common cause of the problem you are having is a either a sticking or defective door ajar switch, first try sprauing the switch with WD40 or penetrating oil then open ad close the door repeatedly to try and free up the stuck switch.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Relist: Answer quality.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. This is a very common problem If that does not work then you will have to replace the switch. I can send directions if you need.

Edited by Shawn on 6/28/2010 at 7:43 PM EST

the switches all seems to be good

The switches are part of the door latch assembly, This is a very common problem If that does not work then you will have to replace the switch. I can send directions if you need. pIf the switches are ok then the the light would not come on.

Edited by Shawn on 6/28/2010 at 7:45 PM EST
Would you like me to send replacement instructions?

please send the replacement instructions.

how do I determine which door switch is gone?

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. If the door ajar light stays on when the key is on, and if the key is in the ignition but not turned on, and the key warning chime sounds with the doors closed, it is likely the driver's door ajar switch is stuck closed.

Stuck door ajar switches can often be freed up by spraying penetrating oil into the door latches from the outside, then working the latches and slamming the doors a few times.

CLICK HERE FOR DOOR AJAR SWITCH

CLICK HERE DOOR LATCH

CLICK HERE FOR DOR PANEL REMOVAL

none of this worked.

But I evenutally did fix the problem by disconnecting the battery, and it seemed to clear the door ajar warning and the door lock now works too.