Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Reverse suddenly, engine dies or diesels..trans..converter..rev…

Customer Question
2000 F250SD 7.3turbo A/T 220K...
2000 F250SD 7.3turbo A/T 220K when put in reverse suddenly, engine dies or diesels. Friends says trans and or converter bad? Could this cause the engine to rev high when shifted from rev to drive?(vss-apps) any recalls or service bullitens available?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/29/2010
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 8 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Chris (aka- Moose) :

You need to use a pressure gauge to monitor the transmission line pressure. if the pressure is low for reverse then you have a internal leak in the transmission starving the torque converter. If the pressure is fine then you have a bad torque converter.

Customer:

transmission is working ok, that's not the problem. The problem is the engine speed. I was backing up and put the engine in drive, the vehicle ran away with me. The vehicle left a black mark for about 20' with 1 wheel, the only way I could stop the vehicle was to switch the ignition off, the engine was reved real high. Any ideas?

Chris (aka- Moose) :

For the engine to rev up on its on uncommanded it has to be getting a incorrect accelerator pedal position sensor input. So far no recalls are out for this. You can use a scan tool and monitor the computer inputs to see if the APP rises uncommanded.

Customer:

it only happeen once so far resulting in a crash. my friend had a 98 model he said it happeened to him driving down highway. He said an old Ford Tech told him it was because the torq converter had gone bad. Maybe he told him that to get a transmission rebuild job? The insurance company is sending someone to try and read any information in the computer, I was hoping I could find some information on my own.

Chris (aka- Moose) :

The torque converter can lock in and stall an engine but It WILL NOT cause the engine to accelerate at all. if your noticing RPM rise which you are since its smoking the tires, It has nothing at all to do with the converter or transmission.