Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2002 ford f250: windshield wiper system wiring diagram..superduty…

Customer Question
I need a windshield wiper...
I need a windshield wiper system wiring diagram for a 2002 ford f250 superduty with 7.3l diesel
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/28/2010
Ford Mechanic: jimchill, Ford Technician replied 8 years ago
jimchill
jimchill, Ford Technician
graphicHello And thank you for using Just Answer
With the ignition on there is only a clicking noise at the wiper motor. The motor has been replaced with a new one and still does not operate. Any ideas on troubleshooting moving forward?
If you dis connect the motor from the linkage do you still get the click noise? You could have something in the linkage that goes from the motor to the wiper pivots either jamming the linkage or broken wiper transmisson. Did you replace with new parts?
The new motor was not connected to the linkage. It was only plugged into the harness. It seems that i could be a controls problem. It appears like the controls are switching the common to the wiper motor and also the wiper pump motor. I have neither working. The wiper motor will not operate in intermittent, low or high speed and the washer pump will not cycle either.
I would have to say that its your multi function switch thats bad. I have replaced alot of those as with the wiper motors. I am just hesitant to say that its that due to the fact that the motor is clicking. But it seems that it all is leading to that switch in the column. Jim
Just to confirm. The wiring diagram you sent me earlier shows the control relays as bieng internal to the motor. Is that true as you know it?
As you see it the wiper park function and the washers are integral. you have the two fuses, motor and switch. Pretty basic as it goes these days for wiring. 95% its the switch my friend. TY jim
Proved last night that it is not the switch. The switch was replaced with a new one and still no operation. Also put the original switch in another truck and it worked perfectly. The motor was replaced, as I stated before, but the replacement motor was also plugged in last night after testing the switch. Did not work. Continuity on all wiring from the switch to the motor connector has been confirmed good. All common ground wires have been confirmed good to chassis ground. What does the connection from the ABS Control Module to the motor have to do with the wiper function? It is the only point left that has not been tested. By the way, the two fuse panel feeds have also been confirmed good to the motor connection.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Please review my comments and tell me what the ABS Control Module has to do with the wiper system?

I would like to pay for the original answer because the expert provided me with the wiring diagram I asked for. I am reluctant to do so since the problem I was working on still exists and there is no one helping me to further address the problem. Who can help me out?

The reason why I opted out of the question is that For some reason I cannot upload the flow chart diag to test the wiring. I can give you info but not the illustrations. If you want to try it that way I am more than willing to give it a try. Let me know thank you, Jim

Let's give it a shot. I was thinking, I might put the replacement motor on a bench test and supply +12V to the appropriate points and then a common signal as an input just to try and rule out the motor assembly. It is still confusing as to why with certain switch assy inputs that there are some relays clicking in the motor assy but there is no movement.

I would be willing to take some direction/info to test the wiring.

Thanks,

Terry

I will get info posted shortly. You have an ohm meter correct?
That is correct. I have an VOM
Did you replace the wiper motor with a Ford OE unit or an aftermarket one. I checked for service bulletins and there is a pigtail replacement for the wiper motor. Jim
It was replaced with an aftermarket one since there was not a Ford OE unit available. Please clarify what the pigtailreplacement is for
The replacement pigtail is for what I believe is an updated wiper motor. The bulletin is vague. I have attached it for you to look at. Your wiper issue has me on a misson to get this repaired as now I am very curious as to what the solution is. Let me know if the bulletin helps you. Jim
I didn't get the attachment...

Sorry.

SERVICE KIT AVAILABLE FOR WIPER MOTOR WIRING
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Reference Number(s): 05-18-8, Date of Issue: September 19, 2005
FORD:2002-2004 Excursion; 2002-2006 F-Super Duty

Related Ref Number(s): 05-18-8
ARTICLE BEGINNING
DESCRIPTION
ISSUE
A new service pigtail kit is now available for servicing the 2002-2006 F-Super Duty and 2002-2004 Excursion wiper motor.
ACTION
Install wiper motor service pigtail kit, follow the instruction sheet provided in the kit. Remove wiper mounting arm and pivot shaft following Workshop Manual Section 501-16. Do not replace the 12A581 wiring harness. For additional information on how to properly splice or repair wiring, refer to TSB 05-18-7 .
PARTS INFORMATION
PARTS INFORMATION
Part NumberPart Name
5U2Z-14S411-KAWiring Pigtail

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES
05-18-7
WARRANTY INFORMATION
WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage.
WARRANTY INFORMATION
OperationDescriptionTime
051808A2002-2006 F-Super Duty And 2002-2004 Excursion: Install Windshield Wiper Motor Electrical Connector Pigtail (Includes Time To Remove And Install Windshield Wiper Mounting Arm And Pivot Shaft) (Do Not Use With 17526A, 17508A)1.5 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
Basic Part No.Condition Code
14B47542

Went word for word with diagnostics tonight after obtaining a 29 page diagnostic and testing from Ford dealer. Motor tests good on the bench. Ran in low and high speed. Checked all wiring, both 12vdc and common and all good. Even checked to make sure there were no switch assy inputs shorted together. All tested well. Motor will not run, nor will the washer pump. Relays are clicking in the motor assembly. The diagnostics mentioned a Software Safe mode. Do you know what that is? If so, could that have the system locked out? Can it be reset?

This is all i found on software for the wipers. I will keep looking. It puzzles me. jim

Intermittent Speed Windshield Wipers
The intermittent wiper speed is activated with grounds controlled by the multifunction switch inputs to the windshield wiper motor module. The windshield wiper motor module then activates the windshield wiper run/park relay coil and switches voltage through the windshield wiper high/low relay. The high/low relay remains deactivated supplying the voltage to the wiper motor low speed input and activates the windshield wiper motor. When the windshield wiper motor module receives the grounded input, the motor continues to operate until Hall effect senses magnet to turn off run/park sense the output to the windshield wiper run/park software, deactivating the relay and disconnecting voltage to the wiper motor. The windshield wipers remain parked until the windshield wiper motor module completes a time-out and then repeats the intermittent windshield wiper cycle.
Speed Dependent Windshield Wipers
The windshield wiper motor module responds to the windshield wiper control commands by interpreting inputs from the ABS system. The speed dependent wipers will compensate for the extra moisture that accumulates on the windshield at higher speeds, except when the multifunction switch is in the INT 1 position. At higher speeds, the speed dependent feature shortens the delay between wipes when using the variable interval wipers. Delays will automatically adjust at speeds between 16 and 105 km/h (10 and 65 mph).

Thanks for helping so far, Jim. I also had found that same information in the diagnostics and testing document that we got from a Ford shop tech. What are your thoughts on this...

Since this is a ground switching system, what if the ground wire tests very good under no load condition(When the wiper switch is not on) but breaks down once the load is engaged(Wiper switch on). This same theory could also be occurring with the 12v supply lines. As I have stated before, with the motor disconnected all 12v lines and ground lines test very good. I can only test them with the harness disconnected from the motor. I might try and put a load on the test points, such as a 12v lamp, and then measure the voltage. If it is dropping, that would explain that although the relays seem like they are clicking, they might not have enough current to completely pull the coils in and make the contacts.

Makes sense.Let me know. What you find. jim

Jim,

It was the Hot 12 v from the fuse panel (#54). It must have been pulling down while the motor was connected and not fully energizing the relay coils. We ran a new fused hot wire to the motor and all is well. Thanks for your help with this problem. Reply to this message and I will get you paid.

Thanks,

Terry