Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2000 Excursion: V..Park position..gear shifter..it in neutral to start…

Customer Question
My 2000 Excursion V-10 will...
My 2000 Excursion V-10 will not stay in the Park position. I have to "tap" the gear shifter to try to get it to stay in Park. I also have to put it in neutral to start when this happens. I DO NOT have a fuse for the Brake Interlock so that must not be the problem. Also, it doesn't appear to be a fuse because it is an intermittent problem.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/28/2010
Ford Mechanic: Don, Ford Senior Master replied 8 years ago
Don
Don, Ford Senior Master
Chat Conversation Started
Don :

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX you had any work done to the truck recently

Customer:

No

Don :

the problem you are having is in the cable assembly. you need to disconnect the cable from the trans and see if it is broken the check all the places where the cable goes through brackets to see if the casing is broken. or if the adjuster is broken. this is in the cable not the trans also check under the dash where the cable connects to the steering colume to see if the bracket is loose. just follow the cable you will find the problem

Customer:

I found this and it sounds exactly like what I am experiencing. I'm not sure how easy it is to find, but I'm going to look. Their solution is a cable tie. I really hate to pay for that.

Customer:

Component: POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:GEAR POSITION INDICATION (PRNDL)
Estimated Vehicles Affected: 866000
1998 FORD F250 Defect Summary:
VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: LIGHT DUTY PICKUP TRUCKS AND MULTI-PURPOSE PASSENGER VEHICLES. IF THE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION SHIFT CABLE ASSEMBLY WAS NOT FULLY ATTACHED TO THE STEERING COLUMN BRACKET, THE SHIFT CABLE ASSEMBLY CAN COME OUT OF THE BRACKET. THE VEHICLE OPERATOR WOULD THEN NOT BE ABLE TO SHIFT THE TRANSMISSION FROM ONE OF THE DRIVE GEAR POSITIONS INTO THE PARK POSITION EVEN THOUGH THE GEAR SHIFT SELECTOR WOULD INDICATE "PARK."
Defect Consequence:
THE CONDITION WOULD NOT ALLOW A DISENGAGEMENT OF THE TRANSMISSION FROM THE PARK POSITION OR AFFECT PROPER NEUTRAL START SWITCH OPERATION. UNINTENDED VEHICLE MOVEMENT COULD OCCUR IF THE PARKING BRAKE WAS NOT SET.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL MAKE THE PROPER ATTACHMENT OF THE TRANSMISSION SHIFT CONTROL CABLE TO THE STEERING COLUMN BRACKET AND ADD A TIE STRAP TO THAT CONNECTION.
Notes: FORD MOTOR COMPANY,

Don :

under the steering colume where the shift cable goes into the bracket the clips come loose. you can get a tie strap at discount auto and just position the cable as far in the bracket as you can and then just use the tie strap to hold it in place. you will do the same thing a shop would do.

Don
Don, Ford Senior Master
Well, it looked like the recall remedy was already done. There was already a cable tie holding the cable to the bracket. I adjusted the wheel to position the gear indicator in the right location, but I don't know why that would have helped. I can't see any problems with the cable or anywhere there might be a problem. It seems to be working better for now, but it was an intermittent problem originally anway so I don't know why a minor adjustment would fix it. We'll see.
also check the adjustment on the side of the trans. this adjustment is for the neutral safety switch. the the adjustment on the side of the trans is off it will give you the problem of not starting in park