Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2005 Ford F-350: The turn signal and the emergency flasher do not work…

Customer Question
2005 Ford F-350. The...
2005 Ford F-350. The turn signal and the emergency flasher do not work. Where is the controller for these so I can get it replaced?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/28/2010
Ford Mechanic: Shawn, Auto Service Technician replied 8 years ago
Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The most common cause of the problem you are having in most cases is a blown fuse double check the fuses in the CJB (Central Junction Box) fuse 18 (20A), and fuse 27 (15A) if ok then flasher is bad, the flasher is located under the dash on the driver's side. I am sending you test procedures in order to determine the cause, hope this helps ou out.

Pinpoint Tests

PINPOINT TEST K: THE TURN SIGNAL LAMPS ARE INOPERATIVE
Test StepResult / Action to Take
K1 CHECK THE VOLTAGE TO THE ELECTRONIC FLASHER
  • Disconnect: Electronic Flasher.
  • Ignition ON.
  • Measure the voltage between electronic flasher connector pin 30, circuit 295 (LB/PK), harness side and ground.

graphic

• Is the voltage greater than 10 volts?
Yes
GO to K3.

No
GO to K2.
K2 CHECK THE CENTRAL JUNCTION BOX (CJB)
  • Ignition OFF.
  • Disconnect: CJB C270a.
  • Ignition ON.
  • Measure the voltage between CJB C270a-21, circuit 295 (LB/PK), component side and ground.

graphic

• Is the voltage greater than 10 volts?
Yes
REPAIR circuit 295 (LB/PK). TEST the system for normal operation.

No
INSTALL a new CJB. TEST the system for normal operation.
K3 CHECK CIRCUIT 57 (BK) FOR AN OPEN
  • Ignition OFF.
  • Measure the resistance between electronic flasher connector pin 86, circuit 57 (BK), harness side and ground.

graphic

• Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?
Yes
GO to K4.

No
REPAIR the circuit. TEST the system for normal operation.
K4 CHECK CIRCUIT 44 (LB) FOR AN OPEN OR SHORT TO GROUND
  • Disconnect: Multifunction Switch C202a.
  • Measure the resistance between multifunction switch C202a-2, circuit 44 (LB), harness side and electronic flasher connector pin 87, circuit 44 (LB), harness side; and between multifunction switch C202a-2, circuit 44 (LB), harness side and ground.

graphic

• Is the resistance less than 5 ohms between multifunction switch and electronic flasher, and greater than 10,000 ohms between multifunction switch and ground?
Yes
GO to K5.

No
K5 CHECK CIRCUIT 385 (WH/RD) FOR A SHORT TO GROUND
  • Measure the resistance between multifunction switch C202a-3, circuit 385 (WH/RD), harness side and ground.

graphic

• Is the resistance greater than 10,000 ohms?
Yes
GO to K6.

No
K6 CHECK THE MULTIFUNCTION SWITCH
  • Carry out the multifunction switch component test.

Refer to Wiring Diagrams Cell 149for component testing.

• Is the multifunction switch OK?
Yes
INSTALL a new electronic flasher. TEST the system for normal operation.

No
INSTALL a new multifunction switch. TEST the system for normal operation.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. Here is a diagram pointing out the location of the flasher, hope this helps you out.

graphic

graphic

Where is the electronic flasher? I cannot locate it under the dash?

HiCustomer

Thank you for the reply, it is located in the auxillary relay box, here is a diagram of the location.

graphic

graphic

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The relay box is under the dash just to the right of the steering wheel, kind of a weird location but is accessible.