Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2002 Ford Taurus SE: minor accident..The master cylinder was replaced…

I just bought a used...
I just bought a used 2002 Ford Taurus SE and am having a problem that my regular mechanic can't quite figure out. Apparently, the car has been in a minor accident (hit a deer). The master cylinder was replaced on April 21st, about two months ago. It has new brakes and rotors. Two weeks ago we replaced the brake caliper on the driver's side. What happens is this: while driving, the brakes begin sticking on, and I slowly come to a complete stop, where the brakes are completely stuck on. I have to allow the brakes time to cool off and "unstick" before I can drive the car again. It doesn't happen every time I drive. My mechanic thought that replacing the driver's side brake caliper would fix the problem, since the brake caliper was completely seized up. However, the day after he replaced the brake caliper, the car began doing the same thing again. So, we're looking for some ideas on what the problem may be!
6/28/2010
Arthur Douglas
Arthur Douglas, ASE Certified Technician
Can you pinpoint which wheel is sticking?

Have the brake hoses (to the calipers) been checked?

It is possible that a hose has collapsed internally, causing the piston to retain pressure after your foot is off the brake pedal.

It seems like both are sticking. When they stick, the car does not pull to one side or the other....even after the driver's side caliper was replaced. I'm not sure if they checked the brake hoses, but seems as though they mentioned something about that as well. But if the hoses were collapsing, would the car slowly continue braking, as i described??

It would brake normally under highway driving, or anytime when the pedal is not used repeatedly. You would notice the wheels locking up at times when the pedal is pressed over and over again in a short period of time. It is not uncommon for rust to build up around the hoses in the front at the metal brackets.

A simple test that can be done to check the brake hoses is as follows: 1) Remove the front wheels. 2) Depress the brake pedal numerous times in a short period of time. 3) Immediately after depressing the pedal over and over, open the bleeder screw on each caliper. 4) Check for pressurized fluid from the bleeder screw.

A pressurized caliper bleeder screw indicates a hose that can not release the pressure back to the master cylinder in a timely fashion.
Arthur Douglas
I'm going to accept your answer, I just want to know if this is a common problem?? My mechanic and his friend had never run across this kind of problem before. And is this an expensive and time consuming thing to fix? My husband does quite a bit of our fixing himself, although he isn't a mechanic...would it be possible for him to fix this himself?
This is something that can be done by someone with some mechanical knowledge. The hoses are relatively inexpensive and it is not very time consuming so long as all the bolts break free easily. It will be a little bit messy since brake fluid will be leaking out during the process. The calipers will have to bled to remove any trapped air after the hoses have been replaced.