Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2000 Ford Escort ZX2: plugs, mech said flywheel exciter ring..shift…

Customer Question
2000 Ford Escort ZX2 engine...
2000 Ford Escort ZX2 engine will not start, not fire to plugs, mech said flywheel exciter ring this car is standard shift?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/28/2010
Ford Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 8 years ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX sounds like a bad crank shaft sensor, but you need to check for injector pulse first, if you have injector pulse, then the crankshaft sensor is good, and then suspect coil, can you check for injector pulse?

Replaced the coil, replaced crank shaft sensor, no injector pluse

if you dont have injector pulse or spark, and the crank shaft sensor has been replaced, then suspect the timing belt has jumped a tooth or 2, and there is no sync between the cam and crank sensor, have you put this on a scanner and watched the crank and cam signals?

no i sent it to the dealer, they said something about a excitor ring

if they put it on a scanner and there is no signal from the crankshaft sensor and its new, and the wires from the sensor to the ecm were checked and are OK, then it has to be the pulse ring on the crankshaft,Tim

do have a picture of this ring i didn't see it

It is part of the flywheel,Tim