Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2002 expedition: CLIMATE..THE REAR VENTS BLOW ICE COLD AIR..PROBLEM.

Customer Question
I HAVE A 2002 EXPEDICION...
I HAVE A 2002 EXPEDICION, THE A/C IS CLIMATE CONTROL. WHEN IS ON THE REAR VENTS BLOW ICE COLD AIR, BUT THE FRONT VENTS IS NOT AS COLD.BISIDE THAT REAPITELY STAR BLOWING HOT AIR TO THE WINSHIELD FOR A MINUTE AND COMES BACK. WHAT DO CAN TELL ME TO TAKE CARE OF THE PROBLEM. THANKS.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/28/2010
Ford Mechanic: chris, Ford Mechanic replied 8 years ago
chris
chris, Ford Mechanic

Hi there

As far as the front a/c system blowing out the windshield at times there is a common cause of this problem ,, you see your front a/c system has vacuum motors that are used to move doors in the dash to control air flow out the vents , floor, etc .. so it uses vacuum from the engine to make these motors work ,, when there is a loose of vacuum the system will default to defrost and blow air on the windshield ,, so have a vacuum leak n the system from the engine .. you might notice that this will happen on first start ups ,, or starting from a stop lamp , or getting on a high way , when the engine is under a load it stops making vacuum ... the most common spot for the leak to happen is on the left rear of the battery ... open the hood and look at the right rear corner of the battery ,, you may be a good thing to remove the battery to see this better ,,but you are looking for a black thin vacuum hose that heads toward the fire wall and goes into the car,, this thin hose runs right by the battery and battery acid gets on it and eats a hole in it ,,,so remove the battery and take a very good look at this hose and look for cracks or leaks in it ,,, if you find that it does have a leak ,, then you can cut the damaged part off and get a small piece of vacuum hose that will fit tightly over the hose to make the repaire ,, then make sure the hose does not touch the battery again and reinstall the battery ..

to check your repaire to see if its good ,, start the truck up and put the a/c on vents , and wait one minute ,, then shut off the truck and turn the key back on , but do not start the truck up ,, the air will come out the vents and stay comeing out the vents for 3- 5 minutes ,, if it does then your repaire is good and there is no others leaks in the system , this simulates the engine under load and not making vacuum ..

after you make this repaire then see if all other problems are gone ,, this may have been the main cause of everything

any more info , just ask , we can go backa nd forth on this page

Chris