Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1999 Ford Taurus SE: 3.0l..engine code..camshaft..it sits over where I…

Customer Question
I have a 1999 Ford...
I have a 1999 Ford Taurus SE with a 3.0l ohv engine code u. I need to install a new camshaft synchronizer. I,m looking for the best way to get the wiring out of my way since it sits over where I need to work. Plus if you would happen to know what size socket I need to turn the crankshaft that would be great.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/28/2010
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 8 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Chris (aka- Moose) :

I personally just use a pry bar and bungee cord to hold the wire loom out of the way a little to gain access to the synchro. Flexing the wire look in the valley of the engine will not hurt it as long as you move it just enough to work. I pry the wire loom out of the way and hold the pry bar in position with a bungee. The crank pully bolt is a 18 or 19 or 21 mm bolt. I honestly cant remember, I keep all my needed tools on a roll cart and just grab one. I am pretty sure its a 18 if memory serves me.

Customer:

Thank you!

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Your welcome