Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2008 powerstroke 4x4 that overheats while ac is..clutch…

Customer Question
i have a 2008 powerstroke...
i have a 2008 powerstroke 4x4 that overheats while ac is on causeing ac belt to squill causing ac to blow warm air and not telling the elec clutch fan to chick on
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/28/2010
Ford Mechanic: Earl, Ford Technician replied 8 years ago
Earl
Earl, Ford Technician

Hello

When the truck is starting to overheat are you hearing the cooling fan getting louder like it is trying to cool the engine?

yes , but if the truck is ideling the fan does not kick on untill you move
Alright so that would eliminate the cooling fan clutch. At idle it can be difficult to tell if the fan clutch is being engaged due to the low RPM. It is possible for the thermostat to be bad, it has been common for the thermostats in th 6.4 to fail. However that should not have any effect to your AC since the AC condenser is located in front of the radiator. I would recommend to check for any debris between the AC condenser and the radiator that may be restricting the air flow. Low air flow will cause high pressure in the AC system which may be the cause of the belt squeal. If there is no restriction of air flow through the radiator and condenser then I would try replacing the thermostats.