Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2002 Ford Ranger: oil change and a radiator flush..antifreeze..leak…

Customer Question
I bought a used 2002...
I bought a used 2002 Ford Ranger 2.3L and had imediately had routine maintenance sevice
done which included oil change and a radiator flush since the mechanic brought to my attention that the truck had been running on palin water without antifreeze. After of week went by with the new antifreeze I noticed a leak from the the engine. I added water to see where the leak was coming from which turned out to be around the thermostat housing area. I assumed that the seal had broken loose due to the newly added antifreeze so I orderd a new assy and I replaced the thermostat housing and by the looks of the old assembly cover I saw that the retaining posts that support the thermostat had been broken. After the assembly had been replaced I poured water into the resoviour for a test of the new assy. At this point I saw water spewing out on the top side of the housing area wherer the assembly mounts to. Since this is part of the engine block or maybe its seperate, how can I repair this since its made of aluminum. Can I use some kind of sealer to repiar this?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/28/2010
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 8 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Chris (aka- Moose) :

Is it leaking betwee nthe block and thermostat housing?
Are any of the bolt holes stripped out, unable to tighten?

Customer:

I checked and verified that the leak is definately not coming from the seal around the thermostat housing. I thought that after I installed the new housing that the problem was coming from a bad seal between the block and the thermostat assembly. I removed the assembly and put RTV silicon Water Pump & Thermostat Housing compund around the assembly to ensure a good seal.

Chris (aka- Moose) :

So where is the coolant coming from then if its leaking from the thermostat but not from the only mating surface there is?

Customer:

I secured the assembly and waited for 24 hrs to be sure the compound was cured before added fluid again. I added gallon of water and I noticed that the water was spewing out on the top side of the block. It appears to be a small hole that is about less than 1/4 inch on center from where the assembly is mounted. Example: Looking directly at the thermostat assembly wher you have 3 blots that secure the unit to the block. Between the top 2 bolts dead center of the assy just past the seal line on the block side I see water flowing out of what appears to be a small hole. This leak all started about a week after I had service done to the engine for a radiator flush. I had the thermostat assembly replaced because of what appeared to be the problem especially after seeing the condition of the old unit. I'm at a loss as to how I can repair this hole which appears to be part of the engine block. I thought of perhaps plugging the hole but I'm not sure if my mechanic skills will allow me to due such a task. I have basic tools to repair some of the minor attentions however grim this may be.

Chris (aka- Moose) :

If your 100% sure its a hole in the block then you must drill the hole out and then tap the hole and then run a sealed rubber washered bolt into the now taped hole you creates.

Customer:

Is their any type of sealant that I can use to plug the hole from the inside of the housing from where the thermostat sits along with sealing the outside where the hole appears to be. It's clearly obvious that this had been generically rigged to fit this scenario from the get go since the truck had been sold to a Dealer.