Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The horn on my 1997 Ford Ranger does not work. How do I fix it?

The horn on my 1997...
6/27/2010
lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician

HiCustomerthis is lostrider,

~What size engine does your truck have?

~Is it 2wd or 4x4?

~Is the air bag light on the dash flashing?

Hi lostrider,

My engine size is a 6 cylinder, 4X4 and the airbag light is not flashing.

Thank you for the reply, here is a wiring diagram for the horn system, need to check the fuse #11 in the engine compartment fuse panel, if there is power on both sides of the fuse then you need to disconnect the wire connector at the horn and check for 12 volts there when the horn button is pressed, if you have voltage at the horn connector then the horns are bad and needs replaced, hope this helps.

graphic

lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician
Where do I find the fuse panel under the hood?

Thank you for the reply, its located on the drivers side of the truck on the fender well.

Engine View
graphic

The Engine Compartment Fuse/Relay Box is located at the LH rear of the engine compartment.

you will need a volt/OHM meter or a 12 volt test light to do the testing.