Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ac vent selector switch not working, no vacuum..rough idle

Customer Question
ac vent selector switch not...
ac vent selector switch not working, no vacum ?? Engine runs fine no rough idle ??
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/27/2010
Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 8 years ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.I will try my best to help you with your question.

Check the vacuum lines under the hood on the passenger side of the engine near the right front fender. The thin black plastic line is the source vacuum line from the engine to the AC controls in the dash. The vacuum line runs under the evaporator case on the passenger side under the hood and to a vacuum reservoir that is mounted under the case under the hood. Then the line runs through the dash on the passenger side and to the AC controls. The hose usually breaks going to the vacuum reservoir under the hood. Check the black plastic line and make sure it is not broken or off the reservoir.

Well, I followed your information and there is no reservoir under the case. The line come up over the top of the evaporator case and runs along the mater cylinder vacuum line (much larger) to the rear of the engine to a valve type connection and another larger vacuum line running under the floor to the left side of the van. (I mentioned initially that this is a conversion van, and it has a rear ac.) I ran out of daylight and the heat here in Orlando right now limits outside endurance. i am guessing that the reservoir is somewhere else.
How can I troubleshoot ?

Check and see where the vacuum line enters the dash area, especially to the AC controls.

If you have a hand vacuum pump, you can test the lines right at the AC control panel.

graphic

Well, I took it all apart on the right front, as far as I could without disconnecting the ac lines. I did find a cut hose. One of the great Ford mechanics at the dealer apparently crimped it between the plenum and the fender. Probably the same one that left oen of the clamps off my heater hose which blew the day on the road. Anyway, could not see under the plenum. Had the fan out, cut a hole in the plenum area just inside from the fan area. Used my inspection mirror, and fingers. Never found any resevoir, no check valve, nothing. Just ran a new line and everything seems to work well.
That is probably the vacuum leak. The other end is probably pinched behind the case.
Your information was only about 50% right. Again, I spent way too much time in the heat trying to find a vacuum reservoir which apparently is not there. Secondly, it would have been a far greater help if I simply knew there was just a line (NO RESERVOIR) behnind the area I could not get access to. If your the expert (??) shouldn't you know that is no reservoir on this particular model, that it is simply just a vacuum line running behind the fan/ac plastic box/plenum area (NO CHECK VALVE, NOTHING ELSE), and that all I needed to do was simply run a new line. Instead I spent hours trying to see into an area with an inspection mirror, disassembled the fan, and cut a hole in the plastic plenum box to see into the right fender area behind the fan/ac box. I don't think your EXPERT opinion was that great of a help. The job could have been a lot easier, taken and hour instead of six, and been a lot less exhausting if I had the presice information that I needed !!!!!!