Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1991 Ford tempo, wont start, checked fuel pump shut off in…

Customer Question
1991 Ford tempo, won't start...
1991 Ford tempo, won't start, checked fuel pump shut off in trunk, relay behind glove box, still no spark. Coil has 2 wires coming from it. Another wire hanging loose. Is this a ground?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/27/2010
Ford Mechanic: AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN replied 8 years ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Hello!

Does the check engine light come on with the key in the on position? Does it go off while cranking?

The check engine light does not come on at all.
If the check engine light does not come on with the key in the on position, then the computer is most likely not even waking up. You will need ot start by checking all powers and ground going into the ignition switch. THis includes all fuses, fusible links and even the power coming from the ignition switch.
I have checked all of this, everything checks out. there is a wire that looks like it broke off, it is in same bundle as the two wires coming from coil. With key on or cranking there is no power, however if you apply power to it I can hear something back by the firewall, I have no schematic so it is all a guessing game. the car was running fine, my son started it and backed up, said there was a clunk noise and it died and wouldn't start again.
Well, if there is no spark, make sure you have power ot the ignition coil as well as a ground signal trigger to fire the spark from the coil. If there is no trigger coming from the computer, either you computer is bad, bad inputs to the computer, or the computer is not even awake.
I have no power at the coil. Not to sound dumb but where exactly is the computer module located?

Here is a picture.

graphic