Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2004 Ford Expedition: Eddie..AC..a steady repeating click…

Customer Question
Have a 2004 Ford Expedition...
Have a 2004 Ford Expedition (Eddie Bower) with rear AC problem. After turning on we are hearing a steady repeating click...about one second intervals. The unit works, blowing cold air as before and starting doing this about 2 weeks ago. Now not only does it click repeatedly when the unit is on it it now making a steady noise (somewhat different) even when the unit is off. I took part of the panel off and noted that what ever is making the sound its within the caseing. Not sure if this is something I can even gain access to. Any thoughts?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/27/2010
Ford Mechanic: Don, Ford Senior Master replied 8 years ago
Don
Don, Ford Senior Master
Chat Conversation Started
Don :

hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX you are hearing is it blend door accuator. the gears in the accuators strip and then continually click trying to move this is a very common problem. they are farely easy to replace remove the 3 gold colored screws and slide the accuator off and slide the new one in.

Don :

Im sorry yours has 4 screws

Full Size Image

Customer: How do I get full access to the unit? I couldn't find any screws to unlock the paneling?
Don :

you have to remove the rear trim panel. I am going to switch to Q/A to download instructions.

Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.

Rear Quarter Trim Panel Printable View (199 KB)

Removal and Installation

1. Remove the C-pillar trim panel. For additional information, refer to C-Pillar Trim Panel in this section.
  1. Remove the D-pillar trim panel. For additional information, refer to D-Pillar Trim Panel in this section.
  1. Remove the liftgate scuff plate by pulling upward.
  1. Remove the rear floor loadspace trim panel.
  1. Remove the floor jack assembly.
  1. Remove the pin-type retainers and pull back the carpeting.
  1. Remove the two bolts and the loadspace trim panel by pulling upward.
  1. Remove the third row seat safety belt anchor bolt.
  1. Remove the rear quarter trim panel pin-type retainer.
  1. Remove the second row safety belt anchor.
  1. Remove the rear door scuff plate by pulling upward.
  1. NOTE: The seat back must not be folded completely down, as the quarter trim panel will not have enough clearance to be removed.

Fold the seat back of the third row seat downward so that the top edge of the seat back is positioned within approximately 203 mm (8 in) of the full down position.
  1. Remove the rear quarter trim panel.
    • Disengage the rear clip on the base of the trim panel first, by pulling the bottom rear edge toward the center of the vehicle.
    • Disengage the remaining clips.
    • If equipped, disconnect the power point and power third row seat switch electrical connector at the rear.
  1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.