Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

94 Ranger: would occasionally idle and run rough with major loss

Customer Question
On my 94 Ranger engine...
On my 94 Ranger engine would occassionally idle and run rough with major loss of HP. At first I could induce this condition by turning on the a/c. The problem at first came and went and now its here to stay. Any suggestions on the best place to start diagnosing
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/27/2010
Ford Mechanic: Tim West, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Thanks for visiting Just Answer,
Well, there are several reasons a vehicle can have rough idle and an engine running rough. Is there a check engine light on? If so it's important to check the codes. Here is how to flash out the codes below as well as a list of items I suspect. Flash out the codes and get back to me.
A vehicle running rough can be caused by:
-Bad Spark plug(s) - one or more failed spark plugs will cause the vehicle to misfire. This usually illuminates the check engine light. If the plugs are due for servicing replcae them,
-Coils
-Spark plug wires
-Egr valve-
-Ignition module

graphicgraphic

IMPORTANT NOTES

* Ignition key MUST be cycled "OFF" for 10 seconds prior to the start of any KOEO or KOER self-test. If the key is not cycled off the system will not reset and the next test will not initiate correctly.
* Correct results of the quick tests are dependent on the proper operation of related non-EEC-IV components.
* Minor deviations from this procedure or the Flow of Diagnosis may cause false codes to be output.

KEY ON ENGINE OFF (KOEO) SELF-TEST PROCEDURE

1. Start engine and bring to normal operating temperature. If engine will not start or stalls after starting, proceed with next step.
2. Turn the key "OFF", then wait ten seconds.

Data Link Connector (DLC)

Analog Voltmeter Connection

3. Activate the self test by grounding the Self-Test Input (STI) connector.
4. Turn the ignition key "ON".

Key On Engine OFF (KOEO) Diagnostic Trouble Code Format

5. Record all codes received.
6. Turn ignition "OFF".

RESULTS, WHERE TO GO NEXT

* Record all codes received:
* Distinguish between ON DEMAND (hard) codes and CONTINUOUS MEMORY codes. On Demand codes are output first, followed by, a separator pulse, followed by Continuous Memory codes.
* Record the order in which they were received.
* If a pass code (111) is received for ON DEMAND (hard) codes, proceed to Timing Checks. See: Base Ignition Timing Check
* If any ON DEMAND (hard) codes are received, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code Charts and Descriptions for appropriate testing procedures. See: Diagnostic Trouble Code Tests and Associated Procedures

NOTE: ON DEMAND (hard) codes should be diagnosed in the order they were received.

* Continuous memory codes recorded in this step will be used for diagnosis after ALL ON DEMAND (hard) codes from BOTH the KOEO and the KOER test have been corrected.graphic