Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

car was shutting off while in motion..it usually starts right up…

Customer Question
the car was shutting off...
the car was shutting off while in motion, It cut off for the last time and now it wont start at all. Its turning but wont start. it usually starts right up
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/27/2010
Ford Mechanic: Vladimir Grodskiy, Automotive Electrician replied 8 years ago
Vladimir Grodskiy
Vladimir Grodskiy, Automotive Electrician
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.
My name is Vladimir.
You should check if you get a spark out of ignition cables while the engine is cranked.
If you do not get a spark, check #4 20 Fuse in the Battery Junction Box and make sure you get + 12V power to the ignition coil ( terminal 2 Violet/Black wire) with the key ON.
If you get power to the coil, then it is likely that you have a problem with the crankshaft position sensor or its wiring.
how do I check the ignition cables If I cant get the car to crank? And could you tell me were the crankshaft position sensor is located. Thank you
If your starter engages and turns over the engine, you can check for spark from ignition cables. Just disconnect any ignition wire, connect it an old spark plug, make sure it rests on the good ground, ask somebody to crank the engine and observe for spark.
The crankshaft position sensor located on the lower part of engine block ( on the side when the exhaust manifold is) closer to the transmission.