Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1990 Ford Festiva: Cranks but wont start..Fuel pump..good flow…

Customer Question
I've got a 1990 Ford...
I've got a 1990 Ford Festiva. Cranks but won't start. Fuel pump and filter appear fine (good flow). Good spark to all cylinders. What else could cause this?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/27/2010
Ford Mechanic: Tim West, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Thanks for visiting Just Answer,
Do not be fooled by a fuel pump that still pumps, pressure and volume are a big part of the veihcle starting. Using some carb cleaner or starting fluid, spray some into the throttle while cranking and see if the vehicle will start on external fuel.
If so, the fuel pump could be weak. If there is no difference, let's check if spark is present, pull a spark plug wire off a plug and check for spark to jump to ground (you can use the engine as ground). Do this while cranking. Do you have spark?
Try this first and let me know.

I stated in my original post that I have good spark to all cylinders. I injected starter spray into the throttle as you suggested. Got about one second where engine just started to run and then died even though I continued to spray for a few seconds. Tried it again a couple more times but could never get it to repeat (i.e., hint of running). I've got solid check engine light with ignition switch on. How can I manually retrieve the DTC. (I have several voltmeters available.) Can that point to cause of not starting? I understand that the computer controls the fuel injectors--how can I verify if injectors are controlled and functioning properly?

graphic
I need some help in being able to accomplish the second step under "Using 'Ck engine' light (MIL): how do I identify the STI pin on EEC? I assume I'm to count the number of flashes to get the first digit of the code. That is followed by ~6 second pause and then another series of flashes for the second digit? Is the code typically a 2 or 3 digit sequence? Do I then relay this code to you for interpretation? Is this the best thing to do at this point or is there another test I should be doing instead? What's the normal pressure reading for the fuel line coming out of the fuel filter and should I attempt to measure that? What did the failure of starter spray to get engine to temporarily run confirm? I need more info on what more I should be doing.