Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

whats up with the 05 F250 6,0L turbo diesel wrench light coming…

Customer Question
whats up with the 05...
whats up with the 05 F250 6,0L turbo diesel wrench light coming on after a few minutes on the highway???

I just bought it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought the 6.0 L engine problems were solved???
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/27/2010
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 8 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Chris (aka- Moose) :

Have you hooked up a scan tool to see what codes are being stored?
The 6.0 has had issues since day one in 2003. It was not until 2007 when the concerns started to lesson.

Customer:

I am so sorry my friend. Even me as a stupid engineer can woek out the code thing. I was loking for inside information that the codes would not catch. It only happens iin hot driving, on the road for 20 minutes. I wil be happy to pay you, but your insight is vanilla at best.

Chris (aka- Moose) :

I am not trying to tell you to seek help elsewhere I am just stating there are about 500 different codes which can store and all of which result in different diag steps and repairs. I am sure you do not want me to make an educated guess since it may not be accurate. If you can just get it scanned I can get within 90% or better of being exactly correct in my diag and repair. There are probably about 50 different things it could be based on reviewing all the TSBs for this vehicle. An educated guess is going to be a miscommunucation between the PCM and FICM and the throttle pedal position sensor.

Customer:

You are a gentleman. I love the truck I bought(2005 6.0L), but have read so much abut the night mares...............the wrench sign comes on after 20 min at highway speeds. The dealer is still looking it over but says there's a pretty serious oil leak. I guess that might mean??? stuck EGR valve, turbo uppipe problems, ................Why the "wrench" and no limp mode>?

Customer:

I wil fill you in tomorrow and pay you, after you check out what the "diesel expert" at the dealership says............

Chris (aka- Moose) :

The warning light can come on for so many different reasons, It may have not been a serious enough concern to warrant a limp strategy. Oil leaks on this model can come from the turbo pedestal or the valley of the engine or the valve covers.

Customer:

It was a faulty oil cooler. I understand that the oil filter is DOWNSTREAM of the cooler, if so, really silly. I also understand that if the oil cooler is replaced, it is a good idea to replace the EGR cooler? Then I have learned that they tend to blow head gaskets. That's pretty much it, EGR cooler, oil coler, head gasksts...

Customer:

I wanted to say further, that the head gasket was replaced before. I don't know when.

Customer:

I would pay good for an opinion that if :

Customer:

2005 F250 6.l Cough stroke

Customer:

head gasket replaced

Customer:

118K miles, putting on a new iol cooler now, just bought the truck a few days ago and it's in the shop. I love it but don't want to go broke..............what should I do......replace the egr cooler at the same tome, put in an egr delete and stop the madness, trade it back for another vehicle, take the chance and keep it and pay another 1.8K to fix it wirh an oil cooler? will I be in the shop for a new HG next week. should I install a coolant filter? shoulf I install an affter market oil cooler in series with the factory one.................WHAT DO I DO??????????????

Customer:

YOU ANSWER, PAYMENT ON THE WAY...................

Chris (aka- Moose) :

Your best option at the time of oil cooler replacement is going to be a EGR cooler replacement as well as the EGR valve or go ahead and do the delete kit. Your correct the EGR system does fail and yours will soon. I do not see a need for another oil cooler nor coolant filter. The oil cooler failed not from heat. They crack or get clogged from overheating or poor oil maintenance.