Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

how do you replace the front crash sensor on a 2004 ford e…

Customer Question
how do you replace the...
how do you replace the front crash sensor on a 2004 ford expedition
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/27/2010
Ford Mechanic: john -aka eauto, The Car Guy replied 8 years ago
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy

FRONT IMPACT SEVERITY SENSOR

Special Tool(s)

SPECIAL TOOL(S)

REMOVAL

WARNING: Vehicle sensor orientation is critical for proper system operation. If a vehicle equipped with an air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) is involved in a collision, inspect the sensor mounting bracket and wiring pigtail for deformation. Replace and properly position the sensor or any other damaged supplemental restraint system (SRS) components whether or not the air bag is deployed.

NOTE: Repair is made by installing a new part only. If the new part does not correct the condition, install the original part and perform the diagnostic procedure again.

1. WARNING: To avoid accidental deployment and possible personal injury, the backup power supply must be depleted before repairing or replacing any front or side air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) components and before servicing, replacing, adjusting or striking components near the front or side air bag sensors, such as doors, instrument panel, console, door latches, strikers, seats and hood latches. The front impact severity sensor is located at the bottom of the hood latch support bracket. The first row side impact sensors (if equipped) are located in the first row doors, behind the door trim panel. The second row side impact sensors (if equipped) are located at or near the base of the C-pillars. To deplete the backup power supply energy, disconnect the battery ground cable and wait at least one minute. Be sure to disconnect auxiliary batteries and power supplies (if equipped). Disconnect the battery ground cable and wait at least one minute .
  2. WARNING: To reduce the risk of serious personal injury, read and follow all warning, cautions, note, and instructions in the supplemental restraint system (SRS) deactivation/reactivation procedure. Deactivate the supplemental restraint system (SRS).

1. Remove the pin-type retainers and the front lower splash shield.

1. NOTE: The front impact severity sensor is mounted on the bottom of the hood latch support bracket. Remove the front impact severity sensor.
1Remove the nut.
2Disconnect and remove the front impact severity sensor.

INSTALLATION

WARNING: To reduce the risk of serious personal injury, read and follow all warning, cautions and note at the beginning of the removal procedure.

1. CAUTION: If the hood latch support bracket or weld stud are damaged in any way that would affect the way the front impact severity sensor mounts to its original manufactured position, a new hood latch support bracket must be installed. NOTE:
    • Make sure the battery negative cable is still disconnected before continuing with the installation portion of this procedure.
    • Make sure the hood latch support bracket and front impact severity sensor mating surfaces are clean and debris free.

Position the front impact severity sensor.

1Position the front impact severity sensor onto the hood latch support bracket stud.
2While sliding the front impact severity sensor onto the stud, align the locator tabs to the hood latch support bracket alignment holes.

1. Install the front impact severity sensor.
1With the front impact severity sensor sitting flat up against the hood latch support bracket, install the nut.
2Connect the front impact severity sensor.

1. Position the front lower splash shield and install the pin-type retainers.
  2. Connect the battery ground cable.
  3. With the restraint system diagnostic tools installed at all deployable devices, prove out the supplemental restraint system (SRS). See: Air Bag Systems\Air Bag(s) Arming and Disarming\Service and Repair\Prove Out Procedure
  4. Disconnect the battery ground cable and wait at least one minute .
  5. WARNING: To reduce the risk of serious personal injury, read and follow all warning, cautions, note, and instructions in the supplemental restraint system (SRS) deactivation/reactivation procedure. Reactivate the supplemental restraint system (SRS).
  6. Connect the battery ground cable.
  7. WARNING: Restraint system diagnostic tools are for service only. Tools must be removed prior to operating the vehicle over the road. Failure to remove restraint system diagnostic tools could result in injury and possible violation of vehicle safety standards. With all the restraint system diagnostic tools removed, prove out the supplemental restraint system (SRS). See: Air Bag Systems\Air Bag(s) Arming and Disarming\Service and Repair\Prove Out Procedure

should the sensor just pop off after removing the nut

it doesnt budge and did not want to force it

exactly